Mike's Oud Forums

Strings tension and objectivity

franck leriche - 7-31-2016 at 12:27 PM

Hello oud lovers,

Since I just released my album, I wanted to share a personal view on strings tension.
I always feel that new strings gave me the feeling to have more tension.
So, when I made this recording, I tuned my Hadi Usta oud to C the first days, and gradually tuned up to D.
Pyramid lute strings.
This concern all the tracks except 1 and 7 which where recorded on a Hüseyin Aktel oud tuned in C#.

Only 30 secs are available for free listening, but it's enough to hear the different tunings.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/franckleriche

http://www.franckleriche.com

Brian Prunka - 7-31-2016 at 07:49 PM

Sounds very good, Franck, thanks for sharing!

BRAINOUD974 - 8-2-2016 at 08:57 AM

Bonjour Franck,
Toutes mes félicitations pour ce bel album. Il ne manque qu'une seule piste, celle avec le fameux oud Nahat.
ST

suz_i_dil - 8-2-2016 at 09:27 AM

Very nice album Franck . Congrats for those lovely recordings

I share your thoughts about the tension of new strings, I usually feel they have more tension in the first 2 days, that the oud is more difficult to play. Worth taking the issue in consideration for preserving the oud if not in a hurry to be in the right tonality
I usually use carbon/Pvf nylon. Do you have the same with plain nylon ?

Beautiful

PaulS - 8-2-2016 at 04:43 PM

What a great sound. I would love to buy the album but I only have an iPad and it doesn't seem to work for that

franck leriche - 8-2-2016 at 11:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BRAINOUD974  
Bonjour Franck,
Toutes mes félicitations pour ce bel album. Il ne manque qu'une seule piste, celle avec le fameux oud Nahat.
ST

Merci, I recorded some taqasim right before his new owner took it, but I found the mood too different from the album.

franck leriche - 8-2-2016 at 11:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulS  
What a great sound. I would love to buy the album but I only have an iPad and it doesn't seem to work for that

Thanks, you are right, you would have to download it on a computer, then move it to your Ipad.

franck leriche - 8-3-2016 at 12:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by suz_i_dil  
Very nice album Franck . Congrats for those lovely recordings

I share your thoughts about the tension of new strings, I usually feel they have more tension in the first 2 days, that the oud is more difficult to play. Worth taking the issue in consideration for preserving the oud if not in a hurry to be in the right tonality
I usually use carbon/Pvf nylon. Do you have the same with plain nylon ?

شكرا كتير مروان:cool:

I agree the oud seems to be more difficult to play...and also use PVF, no plain nylon anymore. Same feeling Pyramid or Kürschner....

hans - 8-9-2016 at 09:45 AM

What! You moved to istanbul! I had still planned to come by in essaouira some time :-)

hans - 8-14-2016 at 08:03 AM

What! You moved to istanbul! I had still planned to come by in essaouira some time :-)

franck leriche - 8-14-2016 at 02:20 PM

Too late Hans, no intention to go back to Morocco more than a couple of days to solve some issues.
If you come to Istanbul, drop me an email.

http://www.franckleriche.com