Mike's Oud Forums

George Seifastobulos, the Greek ?

freya - 10-18-2016 at 05:29 PM

Greetings,

Does anyone know about this maker (Baalbek, Lebanon)? Just picked up an oud with his label for low $ on ebay (needs work).

Cheers,
Harry

Brian Prunka - 10-18-2016 at 06:37 PM

Yeah, I saw that. Looks like it has potential, but seems to need quite a bit of work. I asked Najib Shaheen about him, he said he though he might have heard the name before but not anyone special.
I guess if someone wants to take a chance . . . that's some wavy grain in the face though!

SamirCanada - 10-19-2016 at 05:27 AM

I would ask Nazih, I am sure he knows of him.

Oud Freak - 10-19-2016 at 10:14 PM

George Stifastopoulos (al Younani or the Greek), came to Lebanon during his young age with the Greek Army or so, and settled in Rass Baalbek, not in Baalbek, which happens to be Mr. Nazih Ghadban's village.
He was famous for making ouds there, and I think Mr. Ghadban knew him personally. Stifastopoulos passed away a few years ago.
If Mr. Ghadban or other like to add any info...

Oud Freak - 10-19-2016 at 10:16 PM

MR. Ghadban's post from 2007:

"Hi for all

The Maker is Georges Stifastopolos who was married
from Rass Baalbeck,he has about 90years old ,he doesn't
still manufacture ouds as he is a very old man.at Ras Baalbeck there were two ouds Makers since1940 in the same periode:
-Nicolas Hares(deceased)
-Georges Stifastopolos(Greek)who deosn't still work.
their ouds were classic good with much ornament.

Nazih"

BRAINOUD974 - 10-23-2016 at 07:21 AM

Hi,
Have you a label of this luthier?
Yours

freya - 10-23-2016 at 04:23 PM

Here's the one from the ebay oud.

Cheers,
Harry

Untitled.jpg - 134kB

spyrosc - 10-23-2016 at 05:16 PM

The name is actually "Sevastopoulos" not St...., and since in Arabic there is really no V letter (and no real P, E or O letters either) he writes it in Arabic as "Sifastubulus" (no T after the S). His first name is George.

He calls himself "Al Yunani", the Greek, and indeed he is from "New Ras Baalbek" where he says he does furniture as well as ouds.

Oud Freak - 10-24-2016 at 12:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by spyrosc  
The name is actually "Sevastopoulos" not St...., and since in Arabic there is really no V letter (and no real P, E or O letters either) he writes it in Arabic as "Sifastubulus" (no T after the S). His first name is George.

He calls himself "Al Yunani", the Greek, and indeed he is from "New Ras Baalbek" where he says he does furniture as well as ouds.

Indeed true about the name of the maker.
However it's Jdayde not jdide. Jdaydet rass baalbak is a small village very close to rass baalbak.

Just got around to finishing this

freya - 7-23-2017 at 10:39 AM

Took a while as I wanted to do a french polish on the back and needed to get some skills before touching this oud.

https://www.facebook.com/assabetstrings/posts/10212252669664581

Harry