Mike's Oud Forums

For Sale: Nazih Ghadban oud "Hanini"

Jody Stecher - 10-30-2016 at 01:13 PM

I have decided to sell a few instruments. The first one is the most recently acquired. I bought it from a member of this forum a year and a half ago. It was made by Nazih Ghadban in 2004. This is oud "Hanini" 1067. A video of the oud being played may be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_bUzZMtOJ8

and a discussion from these forums, with full description may be read here:

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=15793#pid10...

I am selling it because the size is wrong for me. And although this a beautiful, well-made oud and the sound is excellent I have not personally bonded with this particular instrument. I know it is the perfect oud for someone.

I can add a few more details here. I bought it from forum member "mercm525i ". He described the sound as "nostalgic" and I think that's a pretty good description. It has something of an older Arabic sound without being massive or heavy. In fact it is a bit too small for me. It comes with the typical strong Nazih Ghadban hard case.

I am asking exactly what I paid for it since it has not depreciated at all, and may sound even better than when I bought it. That is $3200. (well actually I paid $3204.56 but I'm a reasonable man).

I would *greatly* prefer a local sale rather than packing and shipping the instrument. I am in San Francisco.

Etman - 10-30-2016 at 07:37 PM

What are the dimensions of the bowl ?!

Jody Stecher - 10-30-2016 at 08:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Etman  
What are the dimensions of the bowl ?!

The depth is a bit more than 20cm. Across the soundboard is 34.5cm and length is 49cm.

Jody Stecher - 11-1-2016 at 05:52 AM

Got one U2U from across the ocean. Anyone local interested?

Etman - 11-1-2016 at 06:39 AM

Can you post photos ??

Jody Stecher - 11-1-2016 at 07:06 AM

You can see everything but the bowl back in the video. I have 2 photos I tried to post but the file size is too big. Apple has "improved" their computers by making things worse and harder. If I can figure out how to make the photo files smaller I will post them at once and I can take some other photos as well. My preference is for people to come see for themselves and try it out.

thread # 15793

spyrosc - 11-1-2016 at 05:37 PM

Hey Jody,

I saved the old pictures in my THREADWAKER application back then so they are available even though they are "lost" to this forum.

Just click on the THREADWAKER link on the menu bar above then enter the number 15793 which is the old thread about this oud and click on "Items".
Voila !

I knew I was good for something !

Spyros C.

Jody Stecher - 11-1-2016 at 06:38 PM

Thank you, Spyros!

Quote: Originally posted by spyrosc  
Hey Jody,

I saved the old pictures in my THREADWAKER application back then so they are available even though they are "lost" to this forum.

Just click on the THREADWAKER link on the menu bar above then enter the number 15793 which is the old thread about this oud and click on "Items".
Voila !

I knew I was good for something !

Spyros C.

Jody Stecher - 11-5-2016 at 05:18 PM

No one near San Francisco wants to come try out Hanini, aka "Tarab Junior" for its combo of evocative sound and modest size?

Waiting for the price to come down? Unlikely. My only reason for selling is because this oud is too nice to not be played every day rather than twice a month. I've had some trade offers from Europe. I'm not opposed to the idea but I'd still rather keep the transaction local.

Omar Al-Mufti - 11-7-2016 at 12:29 AM

The more I see this oud, the more I fall in love with it. It sounds and looks great

Jody Stecher - 11-7-2016 at 08:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Omar Al-Mufti  
The more I see this oud, the more I fall in love with it. It sounds and looks great

Maybe Hanini is in love with you too. Last night I heard sounds coming from the case. I opened the lid. Hanini was singing (in the maqam Saba) "Omar, I cannot bear this separation. Take me to Europe and let us be united".

Maybe she'll get over it. My preference is still for a local player to have it just because it's such a hassle to ship an oud, with high costs and the potential of damage or loss.