Mike's Oud Forums

Oud in South America

yayoud - 12-15-2016 at 04:45 AM

Greetings forum.

My name is Eduardo from Peru (South America).
I'm wonder if someone of you know a good oud-maker in Latin America with reasonable prices for ouds for apprentice.

This question is because in some post, you talk about oud-makers around the world,but no south America.

I have no instruction in oud at all, but guitar. I like the idea to grow my musical skills and know about other cultures.

I wonder if you have this information or maybe share some plans (mesure and sizes) in order to try to make my first one.

Regards from Perú.

John Erlich - 12-15-2016 at 09:18 AM

Hi Eduardo,

Have you tried asking Pablo? I think he's based in Buenos Aires - http://oudpage.tripod.com/

Buena suerte,
"Udi" John

Etman - 12-15-2016 at 08:22 PM

Oud come in different sizes & types , mainly 3 types:
1. Arabic tuned - fixed/glued bridge, (string length(SL) varies 58.5cm, 60cm and also 61.5cm) most common nowadays 58.5 cm (String length from the Nut to the bridge)
2. Turkish tuned - fixed/glued bridge ; usually string length 57cm -58.5
3. Iraqi (Bashir-style) - floating bridge; mainly 57cm

Sizes of the bowel differs also traditional Arabic 51-52 cm length ......by 36-38 cm width .....,Most popular size nowadays (49 cm x 36 cm )
Neck usually 1/3 of the SL ( 19 cm neck for 58cm SL) , 19.5 for 58.5 & 20 cm for 60 cc SL

yayoud - 12-19-2016 at 07:00 AM

Thank you John Erlich, no, I haven't
I will check his page ASAP!!!
Thank you very much...

Etman, thank you very much for your information !!
It will help a lot, even if I mix it with some mails from oud-makers from Turkey.

=======

Btw, I got crazy and purchased one from amazon for 350$ door-to-door, Turkey to Lima(Perú).
For this price here in Perú you can buy a very good guitar.

For me it's a reasonable price for an oud, (I guess), although by the wood used in it, is not cheap.

Ebony fingerboard and pegs,
Spruce wood for the top
Maple / Mohagany Bowl

I took this desition because Perú makes guitars and other andean wood instruments, but no ouds.

Even bandurrias o laúds is not our best. With some friends we consider was a good bet bring it from Turkey.
They really know what they do about it, and for us is a 'respect thing'.

I hope it arrieves with no problem.
=======

I will share my experience with you and share some photos.
Thank you very much to all of you.

We'll keep in touch.

Saludos desde Lima - Perú