Mike's Oud Forums

Forming chords in maqam Hijaz

fernandoamartin - 1-17-2017 at 02:48 PM

Hi. This is my new expriment.

Over The Green Hills (Hicaz Makamı - مقام الحجاز;)

This is a melody in maqam Hijaz with a modulation to Nishaburek for flute and harp, exploring the possibilities of forming chords based on the principles of the project Makam Music – Beauty and Diversity.

It includes major, minor and also neutral chords. I don't know what you think about using chords under maqam melodies. I feel that we need much care when doing this. But sometimes the results are great! And coincidentally when roots are a 4th or 5th apart it sounds like a kind of functional harmony too.
May you hear and find out how does it feel. :)

Jody Stecher - 1-17-2017 at 06:48 PM

Chords with Hijaz is more than a possibility. It has been a cultural reality for nearly 100 years in Greece, Albania, the former Yugoslavia, Rumania, and maybe Bulgaria.

fernandoamartin - 1-18-2017 at 10:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jody Stecher  
Chords with Hijaz is more than a possibility. It has been a cultural reality for nearly 100 years in Greece, Albania, the former Yugoslavia, Rumania, and maybe Bulgaria.

Very interesting point. I didn't know about it in other countries.
There's what some call piano hijaz that is playing hijaz using 12-tone ET. That way it's very easy to play chords. But some people prefer to play a rast jins in G when ascending in maqam hijaz. Then we have what wikipedia calls a neutral chord.
I played it this way: G (701.95 cents) B (1066.76 cets) D (203.91 cents in octave above). And.. I liked it! :D It sounded nice to me. :)

I'd like to know how do other listeners to arabic music feel about neutral chords.