Mike's Oud Forums

Left Hand Finger Position

Ori - 2-25-2017 at 07:01 AM

Hi Everyone
I am very new here. I am also very new to the instrument.
Can anyone tell me where I can find instructions (Illustrations) for left hand fingers positions on Oud’s fingerboard? I like to start practicing the chromatic Scale first.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate.

SufianSaeed - 2-25-2017 at 02:44 PM

i personally haven't come across any chromatic scale Illustrations for the oud , but you can easily figure out all your notes with a tuner , that's what i did when i very first started playing and i had no musical theory knowledge and it helped me big time , i also started with C scale i had a bit of a guitar background so it made it easier .

Ori - 2-25-2017 at 03:46 PM

Thank you so much Sufian.
I will definitely will do that.
All My Best to you.

Danielo - 2-26-2017 at 05:19 AM

Hi,

I'm not sure i'ts a good idea to practice with the chromatic scale if you intend to play middle-eastern music, as in this context it is almost useless and will give you "bad" habits regarding intonation.

You should start practicing in a common maqam, I would suggest Rast as it is usually considered as the most basic scale and its fingering is rather easy. You can find diagrams there :

http://www.oud.eclipse.co.uk/rastarab.html

Some may suggest C major instead (often referred to as Ajam but it is not really appropriate), however fingering is more difficult and it is far less common than Rast in middle eastern music.

Keep in mind that your hears should be your guide rather than your eyes...

Ori - 2-26-2017 at 07:47 AM

Now That's interesting--for me of course who doesn't know anything about Oud.
I will try my best.
Thank you Danielo so much.
Regards