Mike's Oud Forums

Planning a trip to Syria this summer

Edward6311 - 3-4-2017 at 10:59 AM

I am planning a trip to Syria this summer. I am hoping things work out and my trip with indeed happen. I am planning on being there for about a month. While there I will obviously have to bring back a new Oud. Even though I do not need a new Oud, I can not pass up the opportunity of being able to shop and try out a new Oud before purchasing it. I am planning on most likely purchasing a Ibrahim Sukar Oud.

Is there any other makers I should also consider? I definitely do want a Syrian style Arabic Oud.

Any advice would be appreciated.

charlie oud - 3-4-2017 at 12:00 PM

I'm not sure Ibrahim Sukar is still in Syria, the troubles in Alleppo forced him out, I believe he was trying to enter Turkey last I heard. I feel so sad for him and all Syrians who had to leave Alleppo, I hope he is well. Perhaps you will still find an oud by him in Syria as he made so many. My very best to you and I hope you enjoy seeking out a new oud, I'm sure others on this forum will provide more helpful information.

SufianSaeed - 3-4-2017 at 02:12 PM

i met some Syrian oud players here in Istanbul and last time they've told me he is indeed in turkey in the south

alaaraj - 3-4-2017 at 02:32 PM

Perhaps you should pay a visit to Zeryab oud, Husain Sabsaby, Bashar Jawdat Alhalaby and Hafiz Alsuliman, since you staying a month!!

I know the telephone number for the former two and all are on Facebook!

Good luck and enjoy :-)