Mike's Oud Forums

Travel Practice Options

yavaran - 3-7-2017 at 09:12 AM

Hello Friends,

For my job these days I find I will be travelling quite a bit. Often to the Mediterranean, but not always, and a lot of travel nonetheless.

I worry all these trips will lead me to slip in terms of skills and practicing on oud. As I have recently learned to read music after years of playing by ear, I don't want to backslide on my progress either in terms of my hands or mind.

What do you all do in such situations? Is there a "mini" or travel oud I can buy? Should I try to find a "short" cumbus? Switch to playing duduk?

Any advice is appreciated.

Jody Stecher - 3-7-2017 at 11:12 AM

Two things have helped me when in that situation. One is to practice entirely mentally. Imagine every move and every sound. The other is to bring some sheet music and read it and imagine both the sound of each note and the right and left hand techniques involved in making each sound.

newlife_ks - 3-7-2017 at 11:12 AM

How about a silent oud, if you can afford it?

sylvainbd - 3-9-2017 at 09:17 AM

If you unfortunately don't find your dream yavaran, send me your mail by u2u if you want. I send you a mail when my new travel oud will be ready.

My model in revision is the sylent oud : https://www.facebook.com/Sylent-oud-542363415811963/

newlife_ks - 3-10-2017 at 06:07 AM

Looks good, sounds good, very fine instrument indeed! A video without amplifier would have been interesting to hear how silent it really is.

Silent video

mich - 3-12-2017 at 08:40 AM

Quote:

A video without amplifier would have been interesting to hear how silent it really is.

I've been thinking the same thing! I'd love to know how quiet various electric outs are. If it's very quiet (while using headphones) I'd get a lot more practice in at night when the son is asleep....