Mike's Oud Forums

Oud Repair and a Prop for a Local Persian Luthier: Reza

MattOud - 6-19-2017 at 06:03 AM

Dear All,

I posted my first bought OUD when i joined the forum.
The thread is here for those who want to see it again:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=16888

Anyways, I bought another, much better oud, but I was astonished to find that I really really liked the sound of this oud as well. Astonish because, well, i was told this was basically a wallhanger, and well, i like the thing, alot. I had trouble playing just one of my ouds and played them both.
One is a 6 course(this one) and the other is a 7 course, so it is fun to try the both.

Anyways, after having the first oud in this Southern Ontario humid summers climate the bridge broke right off while i was playing. Yes. Scared the bejeebers out of me of course. After near heart failure recovery, i attempted to glue the bridge with hide glue(from lee valley) and made an absolute mess of things. I am no luthier :) It seemed to hold, for awhile, a month i think. I put it in the case one day, and when i came back to play it later, the bridge had broken again. I realized that i either scrap it altogether or start do the right thing and try luthier Mr. Reza.

http://saazirani.com/

Many of you have heard of Reza i am sure, but noone has documented his work on this forum yet from my reading.
I want to declare plainly how GREAT this man's work is! Very accurate measurements and tuning.
I had bought rosewood pegs from india a couple months ago, i wasn't sure what i would do with them, but when this bridge broke, i brought the pegs to Reza as well to see what he could do.
Reza replace the bridge and the pegs, and reset this thing just perfect. It sounds and more importantly, plays amazing. I do NOT play amazing, but the oud sounds so much better! Perfect action.
Here are some pics of the repaired OUD. I am absolutely in love with it!
Thanx so much Reza!!!

repaired01.jpg - 169kB repaired04.jpg - 277kB repaired03.jpg - 309kB repaired02.jpg - 247kB

Sound sample(please don't mind my beginner playing): https://vocaroo.com/i/s0v4w4TQJp7h

MattOud - 1-21-2018 at 06:26 AM

Hi Again Everyone!

Another post to show the repair of another one of my ouds...

This one is a Sukar 214 model from 2008. I bought it locally a couple months ago and it was in need of some work. Most importantly the action was really high(about 7-8mm) and could not be adjusted by the wingnut enough to help so it was time for a Reza repair! It is now set at 3-4mm.
While it was being repaired, I also asked reza to put on a new bone nut and pegs because the old pegs were not made to suit the holes correctly and were slipping. Reza redid all that and also made a beautiful new rosewood fingerboard to fix the action and also it was cracking on one side so it had to be repaired anyways.
There may be a couple of ways that this repair may have been done, but Reza is an expert and I trust his judgement. He works wonders and did a wonderful job. The oud never sounded better!

Repair2a.jpg - 145kB Repair2b.jpg - 129kB Repair2c.jpg - 134kB Repair2d.jpg - 158kB