Mike's Oud Forums

New to this Forum - Need oud identification

Alsamaraie - 7-9-2017 at 03:24 AM

Hello!

I recently decided to take on something I always wanted to do, learning the oud. I received an Egyptian oud made by Saeed Kamil Mursi (Alasyooti). I was wondering if anyone has come across this maker and if they can shed any light on the quality of this oud.

Thank you!

IMG_6551.JPG - 84kB FullSizeRender.jpg - 96kB

Alsamaraie - 7-17-2017 at 09:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alsamaraie  
Hello!

I recently decided to take on something I always wanted to do, learning the oud. I received an Egyptian oud made by Saeed Kamil Mursi (Alasyooti). I was wondering if anyone has come across this maker and if they can shed any light on the quality of this oud.

Thank you!

No one knows about this oud?

Brian Prunka - 7-17-2017 at 11:11 AM

I haven't heard of this "maker."
It looks like a student model Egyptian factory oud, decent quality.
It's not what one would consider a luthier-built instrument, rather one built by many hands at a factory. There's nothing wrong with this, sometimes such ouds are more consistent and reliable than hand-built ones! The only way to judge an instrument like this is to play it though, since looks tell one very little.

Alsamaraie - 7-17-2017 at 11:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  
I haven't heard of this "maker."
It looks like a student model Egyptian factory oud, decent quality.
It's not what one would consider a luthier-built instrument, rather one built by many hands at a factory. There's nothing wrong with this, sometimes such ouds are more consistent and reliable than hand-built ones! The only way to judge an instrument like this is to play it though, since looks tell one very little.

Thanks Brian! being new to oud, I think this will fit the bill!