Mike's Oud Forums

Advice on buying and oud (Greece/Turkey)

Cumbusistas - 10-5-2017 at 08:53 PM

Hello all!

I've been playing cumbus for a couple of years now, and I recently saved up enough money to upgrade to an oud! I have about 1,000 euros and want to get the best quality oud I can get for the money. I live in Volos, Greece and was thinking about going up to Thessaloniki (it's only a few hours on the train) to buy one from Tassos Theodorakis. He makes incredible instruments, so I'm sure anything I get from him will be great. My oud teacher recommended that I go to Istanbul to buy one, as the prices for the same quality instruments are much lower (especially with the euro's relative strength to the lira now.) I'm a little skeptical about doing that because a) I speak no Turkish, b) I don't know any luthiers in Istanbul, and c) I trust Theodorakis, but I don't know much at all about the oud to feel comfortable buying one from a stranger; I've only played one once in my life. I was hoping to get some thoughts from people on the forum about whether I should go to Turkey or not. Are the prices that much lower? Can anyone recommend a luthier that will have something really great in my price range, or something better than I could find in Greece for the same money? Thanks!

Marcus - 10-5-2017 at 10:29 PM

Hi Cumbusistas,:wavey:
I dont know if you`ll get better ones in Greece in that price-range, but this one is the best oud I ever hear for this price.
Faruk Türünc is a very well known oudmaker, probably one of the worlds best!!
And, you dont need to travel to Turkey, you`ll get the oud shipped to Greece.
Check it out:FT reduced price model

Cheers and good,
Marcus

yavaran - 10-13-2017 at 04:53 AM

You may not be able to afford a standard custom model from Dimitris in Athens in that price range, but I suggest you also get in touch with him and see if he has anything available. Occasionally things come up with him in different price ranges.

As far as buying an oud from a stranger--it's not a big deal if you can see it in person and play it. Try to find someone nice enough to let you look at it a few times, and then you can make a checklist of things to test (i.e. string height, does it stay in tune, are there any cracks or visible glue?)

Especially if there is a warranty on the instrument the risk is a bit lowered.

If you want to go the Turkey route, you may get a good deal given currency difference as was said. Don't worry too much about the language barriers, most luthiers speak some English. Have also heard good things about mehmet jaymaz ouds. http://www.jaymazoud.com/portfolio_page/vintage-vinyl-house-2/