Mike's Oud Forums

A general question on Turkish vs arabic

licensetokrill - 2-18-2018 at 07:35 PM

Hi all! I'm considering getting an oud and I've been trying to decide what kind to get. Overall, the sound of the turkish tuning seems to appeal to me more. The issue I've run into is that while searching for many english resources the favor seems to be on the side of arabic oud. Have I just not found the right sources or is this the case? It seems like the turkish style is less popular (maybe becuase the arab world is much larger) and i'm wondering if that would inhibit the learning of someone who does not speak turkish (me). Would this be a good reason to go for an arabic style?

Thanks

Jody Stecher - 2-19-2018 at 07:35 AM

1. I would suggest getting the kind of oud designed to play the kind of music you are attracted to.

2. Turkish tuning does not produce the sound of Turkish ouds. It is the design of the instrument, particularly of soundboard, that creates that. And that sound, or range of sounds, is consistent with a musical aesthetic. You can put Turkish gauge strings on an Arabic oud that has the same vibrating string length as a Turkish oud and tune them to the particular Turkish tuning for which they are intended, and it will not sound like a Turkish oud.

3. The proximity and availability of people and resources of possible help to you in learning to play the music(s) usually played on Turkish oud will depend on where you live. Internet resources about Turkish repertoire are abundant. There are also instruction books. Use the search function on this site and you can learn a lot. The archives here are full of useful information (along with a small bit of blather from trolls or Martians)

4. In my opinion there is only one good reason to buy an Arabic oud: you love the sound. Same for playing Arabic music. If you are attracted to it you have a chance of eventually playing it well.

5. As has been seen and demonstrated since the earliest days of recording and right up to the present moment, a musician steeped in a particular kind of music will produce a viable and appropriate sound from the "wrong" kind of oud. In the end it is the mind and hands of the player that makes the sound. That said, it sure does help to have an instrument that was designed to do what the player wants to do.

stos - 2-19-2018 at 10:46 AM

we can also add that even among turkish or arabic ouds you can find different instrument by different luthier that has different taste and sound

have a nice search!

licensetokrill - 2-19-2018 at 11:59 AM

Great! This info is very helpful!
I'm in love with the oud but a bit intimidated to get one and begin the journey of learning. I don't have any experience with instruments or music, so this is all unknown territory for me. I'm glad to have found this site though ☺️