Mike's Oud Forums

Building first 13 course baroque lute

noedelarqa - 3-3-2019 at 01:15 AM

First of all, thanks, and greetings. I couldn´t take an image yet, but i will try. I think i`m in the correct forum and i maked right the ``new thread´´, so...

I tried to make it my final work at the career (Arts), that´s why I will have help with their electric tools...

I`m now with the mould. It´s more or less finished, and I`m getting SICK:wavey: with the ribs. I know. It´s difficult to make it perfect, but...

Do the ribs have an exact form for each type of oud and lute, or depends of the luthier? I mean, I get pretty unfinished ribs... And i`m confused about the exact form.

I was given 1:1 plans, but ribs don´t appear, only an perpendicular cut on the ribs that gives me the exact point of each one, when they are 4,4 cm width. I have seen somethimes in the ``tail´´ the ribs ends in point, but never knew if this is ever like this.

I supose we must cover the air mass (mould) with several ribs more or less equal.. But maybe we need more than regullary cover the mould.. Maybe, the exact pattern of the 13 course one...

Can I try with my mould that i have finished or must do investigate about the exact pattern?... I will add photos. Thanks:shrug:

jdowning - 3-3-2019 at 12:59 PM

There are no standardised bowl geometries of surviving lutes Baroque or otherwise. However the procedure for making a lute or oud bowl is much the same. The degree of difficulty is dependant on the mold geometry so the ribs when fitted together on the mold might range from being more or less symmetrical in size and shape to being asymmetrical. Nevertheless a skilled and experienced luthier may be capable of constructing bowls of extreme asymmetric geometry such as this example of an oud by luthier Fadi Matta designed and commissioned by forum member ALAMI a few years ago. An astonishing example of the luthier's craft - but not recommended as a first project!!

After completion of the mold the rib positions are marked on the mold surface and so an approximate rib pattern may be traced from the mold as a starting point. However in constructing the bowl each rib must be individually shaped to fit on the mold surface and to the adjacent ribs - a slow and painstaking task requiring skill and patience.

If you cannot find detailed posts on building lute or oud bowls on this forum to answer your questions there is quite a lot of information and videos on the Internet that should be helpful. For example there is this video by Clive Titmus on assembling a bowl but no doubt there will be many more if you carry out a search

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE8BHIdnNF4

.... and this blog by Michael Schreiner on building a flattened section Baroque lute bowl may be of interest illustrating asymmetry of the rib shapes.

http://schreinerlutesandguitars.blogspot.com/2012/05/assembling-jau...

For your first lute try to select a mold geometry that will require more or less symmetrical rib profiles. Take your time and good luck.