Mike's Oud Forums

Greetings from New Mexico!

Mowgli - 3-14-2019 at 02:59 AM

Hello everyone!
I've only recently discovered the oud and I have to say that it is the most beautiful instrument I have ever heard. I instantly fell in love with it!
Over the past few months, I've been obsessed with the instrument and I have been trying to learn everything I can about it. I am currently trying to save up some money and, God-willing, purchase an oud one day. I have been trying to learn about the different types and styles of the oud.
Would any of you be able to recommend any artists, or albums, that highlight the various types and styles of the instrument?
Thank you in advance!

majnuunNavid - 3-14-2019 at 03:29 AM

I highly recommend listening to Simon Shaheen, Said Chraibi, Hamza El Din, Abadi al Johar, Nasser Houari, Yurdal Tokcan. Oh and Nizar Rohana. :D

Good luck!

Mowgli - 3-15-2019 at 12:16 AM

Awesome! Thank you so very much.

Marcus - 3-15-2019 at 01:59 AM

Hi Mowgli :wavey:

Ahmed Alshaiba made a trip around the arab world and plays the different styles of different areas, i find it very interesting:enjoy!!

One of my favourite players is another Shaheen:Hazem Shaheen

And something for non-traditionalists:Joseph Tawadros

Hope you'll enjoy it and get your own oud soon!!

Cheers,
Marcus

Mowgli - 3-16-2019 at 02:20 AM

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll have a lot to listen to while I'm saving up :)
I recognized Alshaiba's clip from Algeria! I believe it was Ya Rayah.

bulerias1981 - 3-27-2019 at 09:21 AM

Welcome to the world of the oud, life for you will never be the same! :)

Chris-Stephens - 3-27-2019 at 10:47 AM

You should meet up with Rahim Al-Haj he's a fantastic oud player that lives in NM I believe

John Erlich - 3-27-2019 at 12:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Chris-Stephens  
You should meet up with Rahim Al-Haj he's a fantastic oud player that lives in NM I believe

Yes, in Albuquerque - https://www.rahimalhaj.com/

John Erlich - 4-6-2019 at 11:27 PM

I just returned yesterday from my first visit to New Mexico (Albuquerque & Santa Fe). I didn't really understand New Mexico geography until this trip. As you no doubt know, Las Cruces is actually much closer to El Paso, Texas than Albuquerque. (I found that out when I looked into the possibility of going down to Las Cruces to visit a friend who recently moved there.) Your closest resources for Middle Eastern music would probably be in El Paso. The University of Texas has a Middle Eastern music ensemble. You could try contacting the director for advice: https://www.utep.edu/liberalarts/music/ensembles/special-interest-en...

Good luck!

All the best,
"Udi" John

norumba - 5-19-2019 at 10:01 PM

Welcome to NM! I am Albuquerque/Santa Fe based, do some solo and more fusiony oud work. Born and spent a lot of my childhood in Las Cruces though- small world!!