Mike's Oud Forums

Risha sources

crmdgn - 4-16-2019 at 01:21 PM

Where can an oud student in the US get hold of a good quality risha (horn, acetate, or similar), other than Amazon/eBay? Mid-East Instruments appears to sell only soft plastic rishas, which I already have; I'll go to Amazon if necessary, but I try to avoid them when I can.

John Erlich - 4-16-2019 at 09:38 PM

Hi Crmdgn,

My best suggestion it to make your own, trying out a variety of materials.

You can purchase and try the materials on this site: https://www.oudstrings.com/category-s/159.htm And here is a "how to" video: https://www.oudforguitarists.com/diy-oud-risha/ I personally prefer nylon pallet strapping, which requires a minimum of sanding (see attached photo). However, I have come across a variety of materials that work reasonably well. One suggestion: Do your sanding in a well-ventilated area (e.g., outdoors) or wear an N95 mask, to avoid breathing the shavings.

Good luck,
"Udi" John

Nylon Palet Strapping Oud Risha Material Photo.jpg - 48kB

Jack_Campin - 4-16-2019 at 11:35 PM

I thought I was the only person to use pallet strapping until I met a local Greek outi player who also looks for scraps of it every time he passes a construction site. Shape the ends with scissors and by grinding against a stone wall. Comes in a wide enough range of strengths and elasticities to suit, whether you string your instrument with baby hairs or piano wire.

John Erlich - 4-17-2019 at 11:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jack_Campin  
I thought I was the only person to use pallet strapping until I met a local Greek outi player who also looks for scraps of it every time he passes a construction site. Shape the ends with scissors and by grinding against a stone wall. Comes in a wide enough range of strengths and elasticities to suit, whether you string your instrument with baby hairs or piano wire.

Pallet strapping requires the least effort. I use sandpaper. One drawback is its tendency to crack, though this has forced me to lighten up on my picking technique (generally a good thing!).

Jack_Campin - 4-18-2019 at 12:36 AM

Some types crack, some don't. I find the types in use change with time - one of my favourites was a smooth springy black one that I haven't seen in use for ten years.

John Erlich - 4-18-2019 at 04:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jack_Campin  
Some types crack, some don't. I find the types in use change with time - one of my favourites was a smooth springy black one that I haven't seen in use for ten years.

I haven't found any types of pallet strapping not vulnerable to cracking. But the hard, springy action of a pallet strapping risha has forced me to pick more gently, which means less risha cracking (over time) and less wear and tear on my elbow and wrist. I use the "lime colored" green strapping that has a "lattice" surface, and is just (and I mean just) under 1/2 in. wide (about 12.7 mm).

Risha Made by JE From Pallet Strapping SMALLER FILE SMALLER IMAGE.jpg - 45kB

Risha Made by JE From Pallet Strapping Next to Ruler SMALLER FILE & IMAGE.jpg - 48kB