Mike's Oud Forums

Unused ouds

aminateur - 5-7-2019 at 06:09 AM

Greetings,

I have been wondering lately what to do with the ouds that I do not use on a regular basis. On one hand, the purpose of owning ouds is to enjoy playing and not to store them; on the other hand, I find it difficult departing from them.

Could anyone share their experience/thought process about the "extra" ouds that you own?

Thanks

Jody Stecher - 5-7-2019 at 06:52 AM

The lifespan of a stringed instrument varies according to treatment and climate but also according to type of instrument. An oud that has been treated well and stored in good conditions may have a life that exceeds that of a human. Unlike guitars and violins where this is common, many ouds that have been in constant use typically befall some mishap somewhere along the way. Sometimes the soundboard gives out even with good treatment. The lifespan of these ouds depends on the quality of the repair. But what about ouds that are stored and not exposed to things that might damage them? I would rather see instruments be played than not. But also I think we are custodians of instruments. If we keep them and do not play them but do take good care of them we are performing a service, preserving a good instrument for future generations. On the other hand it depends on how many ouds. Keeping 3 unplayed ouds doesn't seem to me to be much of a problem. Keeping 30 excellent ouds and not playing them is denying access to those who would play and enjoy these instruments. It is also denying listeners the experience of hearing them be played. Why do I think hoarding lots of ouds is worse than keeping a few? I guess it's because more people are affected. It's not a very strong argument is it?

ameer - 5-7-2019 at 10:33 AM

I keep one tuned down a half step or more for a different sound and feel.

aminateur - 5-8-2019 at 02:46 AM

Jody, it is a STRONG argument. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Ameer, that makes sense.