Mike's Oud Forums

Should I worry about this line on the neck?

dinausuare - 6-1-2019 at 12:24 PM

Greetings dear oud players and luthiers, I need your help.

I recently noticed a "line" on the neck of my oud (57cm iraqi floating bridge, luthier made, the neck is Not movable like zeryab ouds"

The line was there since I bought it (it is a used one). At first, I thought it was just a white line of extra "polish", but when I put the oud on a certain angle in the light I could see some space making a crack on the neck that is like 1mm or less:

I would love to know your opnion about this issue (and if needs to be fixed, do I have to take it immediately to a luthier or can I wait a little?) as well as your opinion about the strings level.

Thank you, I really appreciate your help :)

majnuunNavid - 6-1-2019 at 03:52 PM

It appears that the action on your Oud is a little high. I think there has been some warping happening somewhere and the line at the neck suggests it's happening at the neck.

I personally, would go to a luthier to remedy this. The action is looking a little high for anyone's taste.

But you can wait, if the action is not bothering your playing. This happens to many Ouds.

Matthias - 6-2-2019 at 02:03 AM

Hello,

yes as Navid said, the action is too high. The reason is the neck-body junction is loose. So you should really contact a luthier soon.

And what's abot the pegbox joint? Is that o.k.? I am not sure but the picture is not clear enough.

Best regards
Matthias

dinausuare - 6-3-2019 at 03:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by majnuunNavid  
It appears that the action on your Oud is a little high. I think there has been some warping happening somewhere and the line at the neck suggests it's happening at the neck.

I personally, would go to a luthier to remedy this. The action is looking a little high for anyone's taste.

But you can wait, if the action is not bothering your playing. This happens to many Ouds.

Thank you so much for your answer Navid! I'll go to a luthier very soon, now there's one thing that got me thinking, I really like the sound of this oud and I don't want it to change. So, would the neck fix change the sound of the oud?, if so, how to avoid it?

dinausuare - 6-3-2019 at 03:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Matthias  
Hello,

yes as Navid said, the action is too high. The reason is the neck-body junction is loose. So you should really contact a luthier soon.

And what's abot the pegbox joint? Is that o.k.? I am not sure but the picture is not clear enough.

Best regards
Matthias

Thanks Matthias! I've decided to go to a local oud luthier and fix the issue. About the pegbox, there are some cracks on the sides :

As I replied to Navid, I'd ask you the same question: would fixing the neck (would love to explain some basics about the procedure: will the luthier remove it and put it back; or put a brand new neck, or just adjust it?), so would the repair change the sound of the oud? and how to avoid that? since I wanna preserve the beautiful iraqi sound of my oud. Thank you again!

Matthias - 6-5-2019 at 03:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dinausuare  

Thanks Matthias! I've decided to go to a local oud luthier and fix the issue. About the pegbox, there are some cracks on the sides :
so would the repair change the sound of the oud? and how to avoid that? since I wanna preserve the beautiful iraqi sound of my oud. Thank you again!

It really seems the pegbox is off too. Remove the strings and probably it will fallout.

Of course the sound will change, it should be better if the connection is better.
The neck must not be made new, only reglued.

Best regards Matthias

dinausuare - 6-6-2019 at 09:45 AM

so would the repair change the sound of the oud? and how to avoid that? since I wanna preserve the beautiful iraqi sound of my oud. Thank you again!

It really seems the pegbox is off too. Remove the strings and probably it will fallout.

Of course the sound will change, it should be better if the connection is better.

Best regards Matthias

Thanks a lot Matthias, I really appreciate your help.

dinausuare - 6-11-2019 at 01:53 PM

Best regards Matthias

Another question Matthias if you may, I would like to know your opinion about the feasibility of two changes I'd like to make on my oud :
1. converting my already iraqi oud to a munir-bashir like oud, meaning that I will put the low F near the high F by changing the nut and the wooden piece where the strings end.
2. removing the (flamenco guitar like) transparent pickguard of my oud and replacing it with a wooden one like standard iraqi ouds

Thanks again!

Matthias - 6-12-2019 at 10:52 AM

Another question Matthias if you may, I would like to know your opinion about the feasibility of two changes I'd like to make on my oud :
1. converting my already iraqi oud to a munir-bashir like oud, meaning that I will put the low F near the high F by changing the nut and the wooden piece where the strings end.
2. removing the (flamenco guitar like) transparent pickguard of my oud and replacing it with a wooden one like standard iraqi ouds

Thanks again!

Both will be no problem.
1) its only a change of the stringing - if you nee a good set see here.
2) Take care that you don't pull out wood fibres while removing the plastic. I suppose that is "glued" with both-side adhesive film
I glue my picguards with hot ( natural ) glue but it is difficult to do this the same way after instrument is finished, you need some experience to do this that way.

Best regards
Matthias

dinausuare - 6-12-2019 at 12:31 PM

Both will be no problem.
1) its only a change of the stringing - if you nee a good set see here.
2) Take care that you don't pull out wood fibres while removing the plastic. I suppose that is "glued" with both-side adhesive film
I glue my picguards with hot ( natural ) glue but it is difficult to do this the same way after instrument is finished, you need some experience to do this that way.

Best regards
Matthias

Thanks for the reponse Matthias.
I think that changing the stings' location implies making physical changes on the lateral stringholes;

As the picture indicates, a munir-bashir tuning would imply that the red arrow's corresponding stringholes would accomodate the single low F string, and since there is already two small stringholes, can the luthier just make a big hole on the red arrow's side and two holes on the blue arrow's side or make a brand new piece of wood and remove this one?

For the pickguard, I'd be requesting its modification to the same luthier, I'm not going to do it by myself, so is still safe for the soundboard?

Matthias - 6-13-2019 at 11:58 AM

On the bass side it will be no problem to add another hole.

On the trebble side I normally make a hole inbetween the existing ones. But in this case both are really verry close to each other. So I would recommend to chhoose one of them and make it bigger, don't let make a new one. I would say the outer one.

And also a new string fixing block is not necessary.

Best regards
Matthias