Mike's Oud Forums

Low tension

Elbelga - 8-9-2019 at 12:40 AM

Hello,
I have a 60 cm scale oud (fixed bridge). I like the sound of the Aquila Nyglut strings but the tension is too low. Somebody know wich brand/arabic set strings have a good tension for my oud?
Thank you!

Brian Prunka - 8-9-2019 at 06:23 AM

I have all gauges of Aquila nylgut trebles from their "lute" strings selection. I have a number of their wound lute gauges as well, so I could make you a custom Aquila set with higher tension to match your oud.

An alternative that is a little less expensive would be to use a custom LaBella lute strings for the wound strings and just use Aquila nylgut for the trebles—this is a popular option.

60cm is a good size, it shouldn't be hard to find a tension that you're happy with.

you can send me a message at orders{at}oudstrings{dot}com.

Elbelga - 8-9-2019 at 12:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  
I have all gauges of Aquila nylgut trebles from their "lute" strings selection. I have a number of their wound lute gauges as well, so I could make you a custom Aquila set with higher tension to match your oud.

An alternative that is a little less expensive would be to use a custom LaBella lute strings for the wound strings and just use Aquila nylgut for the trebles—this is a popular option.

60cm is a good size, it shouldn't be hard to find a tension that you're happy with.

you can send me a message at orders{at}oudstrings{dot}com.

Thank you very much Brian!!!

Jason - 8-9-2019 at 08:22 PM

Are the wound lute strings copper/bronze colored like the old Aquila sets they made 10 or so years ago?

Brian Prunka - 8-10-2019 at 08:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jason  

Are the wound lute strings copper/bronze colored like the old Aquila sets they made 10 or so years ago?

Yes, the lute strings are plain copper wound on nylgut multifilament, similar to the original oud sets but available in a wide variety of gauges.