Mike's Oud Forums

Turkish strings on arabic oud?

danieletarab - 11-28-2019 at 02:00 AM

Hello dear oudists,
I am getting a 60 cm new arabic oud from Dimitri Rapakousis and since I would also like to have a turkish one I was thinking of putting turkish strings on my 58,50 cm FARUK TURUNZ arabic reduced price. It's turkish size, so it won't be a problem for the tension, but I wonder if I am going to spoil the harmonic sound of the oud which it has always been tuned in C and built for arabic tuning. Shall I worry about that or different stringing is not such a great deal? Thank you!

Microber - 11-28-2019 at 08:11 AM

Hello Daniel,
I also have a FAruk Türünz reduced price for arabic tuning and i tune it the turkish way. And it really sounds great. So don't hesitate.
Robert

Jody Stecher - 11-28-2019 at 08:13 AM

Your FT oud has been braced to create an "Arabic sound". Tuning it Turkishly with the proper strings may possibly create a sound not typically Turkish. But it might be an excellent sound. Why not give it a try? It can't hurt the oud or the strings. Maybe it will create the best oud sound anyone has ever heard! or maybe not. It might be worth the price of a set of strings to find out.

Brian Prunka - 11-28-2019 at 08:59 AM

My experience with Turunz ouds is that they sound like Turunz ouds, not "Turkish" or "Arabic" regardless of the tuning they are for. It's a nice sound. The issue is less "Turkish" vs. "Arabic" sound and more, is the oud going to resonate the way he intended using a different tuning than it was made for.

Most ouds have a tuning where it sounds best, but there should be no harm in trying it. It may sound great, it may not. My guess is that it will be fine.

paulO - 11-28-2019 at 09:33 PM

I've got to second both Jody's, Brian's, and Robert's posts - give it a shot - just give the change in tuning time to sink in, not just until the strings stay in tune, but maybe a month or two after they've settled in.....good luck !

Regards - Paul