Mike's Oud Forums

Looking for songs for project

FilipHolm - 2-25-2020 at 11:18 AM

Hi again!
I might need you help with a project I'm trying to start.
I want to put together a smaller group (3-4 (5 tops) people) of musicians to play traditional middle eastern/North African music.

The idea is to make it a kind of mix between education and entertainment. As I am an academic studying the Islamic world and Sufism in particular, as well as an Oud player, I want to combine these two fields.

So basically, I am looking for traditional (folk)songs from either the Ottoman Empire-period/region or North Africa primarily.
The priority here would be on Sufi-music/songs if that is possible. I know that the Mevleviyya has a strong tradition of composed pieces, but these are usually long suites for sema rituals.
Similarly, the Chishtiyya in India/Pakistan has some characteristic "songs" but this style of music is outside of what I want/am able to perform.

But aside form this, I don't know of any famous old Sufi "songs" from the general middle eastern/north African/Andalusian region, but perhaps I am mistaken? Do you know of any such songs? an alternative is to pick one of the longer suite-like pieces and play parts of it, but I want to check if there are shorter pieces available first.

Of course, it doesn't have to be Sufi-related songs. I am also looking for any prominent or famous traditional folksongs form this region. The older, the better. All suggestions are welcome.

Hi

Arabic-Music-Sheet - 4-6-2020 at 05:23 AM

Hi
I'm an Egyptian musician , i play Qanun instrument

I think you will play some of Muwash-shahat or Dawalib

You can find alot of traditional songs in my blog
http://arabicmusicsheets.blogspot.com/

I hope we will be in touch