Mike's Oud Forums

quarter tone fingerings

Kapout - 5-13-2020 at 09:48 AM

Hi,

Have some trouble with the fingering for some quarter tones.

Say I want to play G - A - half-flat B on the G string.
If I play the A with the first finger, should I play 0 - 1 - 2 or 0 - 1 - 3 ?

I tried both combinations, not quite sure what I like more.

Same question if I play the A with the second finger, should I play the half-flat B with my third or with my fourth finger ?

Brian Prunka - 5-13-2020 at 11:28 AM

If A is played with the 1st finger, then the standard fingering is that B half flat is played with the 3rd finger.
This is the standard way of playing it and what I'd strongly recommend sticking with.
If playing A with the 2nd finger, you'd play B half flat with the 4th finger.

While you can play A with the second finger and the B half flat with the 4th finger, due to the way maqam music is written, it's less common that this will be the best fingering: if there is a B half-flat, the focus is usually on G, A, the the high C or D, so it usually makes more sense to use 1-3 than 2-4.

Using the second finger for A makes more sense when you are focusing on the D, F, E or E half flat below, so in those cases the upper note is more likely to be Bb. Not sure if that's clear, a bit hard to explain—since B half flat is less likely in descending passages, it's less common to use 2-4. It's not a problem necessarily, but definitely is the less common fingering.

There are exceptions, for instance Saba on A (or Delanshin), you want your first finger available for Db on the high c' string, so it might make sense to use 2-4 for the A - B1/2b.

majnuunNavid - 5-13-2020 at 04:27 PM

I find that what finger you use is all very circumstantial depending where your fingers are going, and what embellishments you want to use. I personally tend to use both options.

Kapout - 5-14-2020 at 02:25 AM

Thanks!

For the E half flat on the D string, I always use the first finger, is that what you would recommend ?

Brian Prunka - 5-14-2020 at 03:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Kapout  
Thanks!

For the E half flat on the D string, I always use the first finger, is that what you would recommend ?

Yes.
The F is normally played with the third finger, but you can use the second finger for F in order to facilitate certain ornaments (involving the 4th finger playing G)

Kapout - 5-15-2020 at 03:25 AM

Thanks!