Mike's Oud Forums

Judge this oud

JayJay - 6-23-2020 at 09:46 AM

Hey friends,

I'm planning on buying an oud from an oud maker who lives in my city but since it's my first time buying an oud, I have zero experience in identifying a good one.

The man is genuine as far as I know and I also found out that he's the son of a famous oud maker from Baghdad. But before spending a good money on an oud I would like to be fully confident about my decision so please help me out with this.

I know that a video won't tell the whole story but I believe it will be a good sample to judge his work and it will certainly helpme make up my mind.

https://www.facebook.com/366418144062440/videos/1055397771463474/

Any input will help, thanks in advance!

Brian Prunka - 6-23-2020 at 10:20 AM

It seems nice, the one thing I'd mention is to be sure that you want a floating bridge oud as opposed to the classic style.
Who are the oud players you enjoy most?

some examples:
Floating Bridge: Munir Bashir, Naseer Shamma, Charbel Rouhana, Rahim alHaj, Marcel Khalife
Classic Bridge: Simon Shaheen, Anouar Brahem, Amer Ammouri, Said Salam, Mohamed el Qasabgi, Mohamed abdel Wahab, Farid el Atrash

JayJay - 6-23-2020 at 12:22 PM

I more often listen to Munir Bashir, Rahim Alhaj and Shamma but I also love the Eastern (Sharqi) style a lot, it made love the oud. Simon Shaheen for example makes me feel the oud the most.

Are there any disadvantages of the floating bridge like some kind limitations?

I followed you on Instagram, I love your uploads.

Brian Prunka - 6-23-2020 at 03:28 PM

Thanks man!
It's mostly a sound thing, and it feels a bit different. I don't like the sympathetic resonance you get from the strings behind the bridge, personally, and most of the oud players I love are from the old school sound (like Simon, Farid, etc.).
It's ultimately a personal preference. For me the floating bridge sound is a little more "pure" or "clear" and somewhat guitar-like, but I like the sound of the sharqi oud more.