Mike's Oud Forums

Bought an electric Najarian and met Mike!!!

Orahim1 - 3-30-2005 at 01:39 PM

I had the opportunity to meet Mike last weekend when I visited Viken Najarian to purchase of of his electric ouds. First off, if you are considering buying an electric oud I can only give Viken praise for his quality craftsmanship and beautiful sounding electric oud!! Was it expensive? Yes. Was it worth every penny? Damn straight! He also built me a very nice case for the electric oud which fits in it like a glove. So, if you are considering purchasing an electric or acoustic oud and want quality, I suggest buying one of Viken's ouds. He is the sole builder and works on his ouds from beginning to end.
While I was down in Los Angeles I also met up with Mike (the leader/owner of this here forum). I went to his house and he was more than hospitable. He also has a VERY NICE collection of ouds. We found out a bit after that we have relatives who know each other. Small world! Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that I had a great time while down in Los Angeles due to my visit to Mike's and Viken's. By the way Mike, I sent you pics of my Sandi, Bedrousian, and ebay Turkish oud. I forgot to ask but, where did you purchase your soft cases for your ouds?

Mike - 3-30-2005 at 08:18 PM

Hey Steve,
It was great to meet you too my friend. I'm glad you're loving your new oud. I totally dug it too. The hardcase was quite impressive as well! I got your pictures, and I'm going to attach them here. Your Sandi oud looks very similar to the one my oud teacher has. It's a beatiful oud.
Take care bud,
Mike

Tommy - 3-31-2005 at 02:57 PM

hello orahim and mike, I am also from the los angeles area and am looking to purchase an electric oud. Is there contact info for Viken's shop or is he a private maker? Any locations of other oud shops around Los Angeles would be much appreciated, thank you.

Orahim1 - 3-31-2005 at 06:06 PM

Tommy,
I am actually from Central Cali but was down in the LA area to visit my brother, buy my electric oud, and meet Mike. There is a link to Viken's website on this website but I'll post his address for you here is it makes it easier:
http://www.oud.net/

Hope that helps.

Tommy - 4-1-2005 at 02:54 PM

thanks for the link, I think this guy might be a titch out of my price range... If you don't mind me asking, how much was yours?

bassel - 4-1-2005 at 03:30 PM

Hello everyone,
well I never heard of electric ouds!! can you just post a sound recording of it just to know what it sounds like.

Thanx,

Orahim1 - 4-1-2005 at 10:33 PM

Tommy,
It was $1500.00 for the electric oud. Like I stated in an earlier post, it is worth every penny! As for a clip, well you won't be getting one from me until I am comfortable with my paying enough to play for others. I will be headed to Santa Clara tomorrow to pick up an amp for it.