Mike's Oud Forums

A couple of Videos

Mike - 3-30-2005 at 07:58 PM

Hey everybody,

I just uploaded a couple of videos for an aged Farid-el-Atrache. One is a taqsim and the other is a partial performance of his instrumental piece, Toota. In the first half of Toota, the audio doesn't match the video, but who cares.

Taqsim
Toota

Mike

oudman - 3-31-2005 at 04:02 AM

Awesome videos Mike
Thanks ;)

Jameel - 3-31-2005 at 05:27 AM

Incredible, Mike. You made my day. That eagle risha is too cool! And Farido's facial expressions are amazing, subtle, but almost like he is taunting the crowd a bit, like giving kids some candy.

Jameel - 3-31-2005 at 05:33 AM

I love the part around the 5 minute mark. Saba, right?

oudman - 3-31-2005 at 06:52 AM

Ya its saba. Interestingly, when he answers on the lower strings, he does saba zamzam (with the D flat instead of half flat) because its hard to do saba (on C) on the lower strings -pinky has to stretch a lot, or u have to change positions ;)
Wondering if this was deliberate on Faridos part...

oudplayer - 3-31-2005 at 08:38 AM

hey all
mike thx alot of these movies clips they are great i lik ethe first one the best.
thx sammy

TruePharaoh21 - 3-31-2005 at 09:26 AM

Mike, I deeply thank you for these files. I love the chords he pulls at the end of Toota. Just fantastic. Wael told me to check these videos out when i got home... imagine, being at rehearsal and the thing on my mind is going home to check this out. It was worth the wait.

It also gives us a lot of hope to know that there are recordings out there that we haven't found, but that we'll come into contact with eventually.

Thanks again, man.

TP21

habeebkum - 3-31-2005 at 09:55 AM

that was my first time watching the great master at work!it must be an amazing feeling to be able to play like that. am so glad god gave us some imagination and dreams!! :D i really enjoyed that guys. shukran mike!

chaldo - 3-31-2005 at 04:40 PM

WAW..... that was amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:xtreme::xtreme::xtreme::xtreme::xtreme::xtreme:

thanks so much :airguitar::airguitar::airguitar::airguitar::airguitar::airguitar::airguitar::airguitar::airguitar::airguitar::airguitar:

Orahim1 - 3-31-2005 at 06:08 PM

Great vids Mike. I love how he makes playing the oud look so easy when he's playing and just looking around the room, not glancing at his oud very often.

san3any - 3-31-2005 at 09:12 PM

NICE..............Thanx Mike

Mike - 3-31-2005 at 11:32 PM

Glad you guys liked the videos. Even though Farido definitely wasn't at his best here, he was still awesome. I guess he passed away within a year of this concert. Anyway, I've got some other videos of a nice Yemeni player coming next. Keep an eye out.
Take care,
Mike

Bin Ayoub - 4-1-2005 at 07:17 AM

am wondering if the yemeni player is Arif joman?

habeebkum - 4-1-2005 at 08:42 AM

does any body have any video clips of Omar Naqichbendi? i no its a long shot but this is the best place to ask!!

Mike - 4-1-2005 at 09:08 AM

Bin Ayoub, actually, I am not positive if he is Yemeni or not. The video was recorded from the Yemeni satellite channel, so I assumed he is. Hopefully when I put the video up, somebody can identify the player.

Habeebkum, I don't know of any video for him, but there are some recordings on the rare recordings page.

Take care,
Mike

Mike - 4-1-2005 at 02:01 PM

Okay, here are some more videos. Maybe somebody knows who this artist is? If you do, let us know. He is a very emotional singer. I like him a lot.

Song One
Song Two

Mike

habeebkum - 4-1-2005 at 03:52 PM

that really did put a smile on my face:D, he really is a character. and ur right mike, very emotional and i liked him too. somehow i doubt he is yemeni( thats just a guess tho cos of his accent!).
and i've heard all the recordings in rare ouds and i love Naqichbendi's style, so i just wanted to watch him play cos i always feel as if i learn a little from watching and hearing.
thanx for the vids, take care:applause:

hamed - 4-1-2005 at 07:29 PM

his accent is not so yemeni sounding, but his playing is definetly yemeni style. i think this may be Ayoub Tarish, but i'm only 50% sure.

revaldo29 - 4-1-2005 at 10:16 PM

man thats a killer looking and sounding oud. Anyone know who the maker is?

HE IS YEMENI, AHMED KASSEM

san3any - 4-2-2005 at 02:26 PM

hiii

this is the great musican Ahmed Qassem who passed away in 1995 in a car accident, He was a very good friend of FARID AL ATRASH....he is an oud master, one of the best Oud players know in Yemen and Egypt..... He is from Aden.... and he continued his oud education in Music school in Aden then he moved to egypt to take advanced educaiton on oud techniques... he is really influnced by farid al atrash... Farid al atrash called him 3freet al3ood....because he is really good ... he is not into Yemeni old songs, but he is composer of alot songs, He is well known in Yemen and the arab world... if you need more information about him, i will be more than happy to fill you...

yours

San3any

san3any - 4-2-2005 at 02:28 PM

The first song is called ... SODFA....his lyrics and music..... its one of his best songs....

san3any - 4-2-2005 at 06:42 PM

REVALDO......

His oud is an Ahmed Abdulhalim OUD.... he also buys his ouds from ABO SAMEH, another egyption oud maker, Abo sameh makes egyption ouds with an iraqi style!!

The oud he is playing with is Ahmed Abdulhalim

oudplayer - 4-2-2005 at 08:20 PM

hey mike wow i loves these movies thx for them. i love his music so crisp and its somethhing that you cant not love. his oud is exacly like mine mine i salso ahmed abdul halim and sa3nany do yo have any mp3 of him to send me bc he is amazing. i lwould love that thx. and do u have any other yemeni or yemenite ouds players.
thx sammy

oudman - 4-3-2005 at 12:35 PM

I just watched the 2 videos of Ahmed Qassem, very nice
thanks to mike for posting ;)

mavrothis - 4-3-2005 at 01:44 PM

Thanks Mike!!! :D:D:D

Mike - 4-3-2005 at 03:33 PM

Thanks San3any for the information. I really like Ustaz Kassem a lot. He really gets into his music and lyrics a lot, and that is great I think.

Take care,
Mike

More About Ahmed Kassem

san3any - 4-4-2005 at 07:07 AM

Ahmed Kassem was born in Aden, Yemen. His family is into music, and he really loved oud since he was young. He tought him self, and then later he met other yemeni oud players, whom are like his teacher (eg. Ibrahim Almas, and Abdulkader ba makhramah...etc) then he joined the Music institute in Aden, where he met Jameel Ghanim who was one of his best friends. While learning in the Music institute, he was a teacher in a high school in Aden. He then decided to go to egypt to continue his education. He thought about going to Iraq with Jameel Ghanim, but because he was influnced by Farido, he preffered going to Egypt. In egypt he met Farid Al atrash and alot of Arabian singers and Oud players, and he was famouse in the music world as a great oud player. He invited Farid al atrash to come to Yemen. Farid came to Aden in Yemen and made a tour and sang alot of his famous songs. From that time he started calling Ahmed Kassem "3freet al3ood", because he has a new style that introduced to the egyptions, which was a mix of Yemeni and Egyption techniques.

Ahmed Kassem is considered one of the discoverers of Ahmad Fathi.

Ahmad Fathi was in Hodidah (a city in Yemen) Ahmed Kassem really like Ahmad Fathi way of play since he was 11 years old, and he is the one who introduced him to the public, where he used to ask him to play some taqaseem before any ceremony in Aden. and he used to call Ahmad Fathi (al6ofl almo3jezah) which means the MIRACLE CHILD.

Ahmad Kassem passed away in 1995 in a car accident, while he was driving from Taiz to Aden. Some people are saying its a prepared assination, because mr. Kassem was a member of the communist party, and he was a PROUD COMMUNIST.

I will post some of his songs or give the links on the internet, so that you can go and listen to more of his music.

take care all

Ahmed Alshami (san3any)

elrabee3 - 4-6-2005 at 05:53 AM

man, i dont visit this site for two weeks, and u start posting all of these treasures.

i have no comments about Farido's videos, just see how he was playing oud with passion, and u will know why he is the KING. :bowdown: :bowdown:

about Ahmed Qassim, well, San3any did a great job. i just want to add a small info. when Farid visted Yemen in the 1960's to open the Radio and TV Station (i think), somebody introduced ahmed qassem to Farid, and he played oud infornt of him, imidiatly farid called him "3freet el oud"

MrOud - 4-6-2005 at 11:20 AM

Wonderful artist. Thanks for posting.
What an amazing control over the oud while singing. I am very touched by his voice as well.
May he rest in peace.

Udi Mike

mysticman - 3-15-2007 at 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by habeebkum
that really did put a smile on my face:D, he really is a character. and ur right mike, very emotional and i liked him too. somehow i doubt he is yemeni( thats just a guess tho cos of his accent!).
and i've heard all the recordings in rare ouds and i love Naqichbendi's style, so i just wanted to watch him play cos i always feel as if i learn a little from watching and hearing.
thanx for the vids, take care:applause:

Hi to all,

It has been a while i have been watching this excellent forum and website, thank you Mike:applause:. Today i decided to post something for the first time.
I think Omar Naqichbendi might be playing on this video, but i am not sure. I hope you like it ! :)

here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcLPCLLnF-g&mode=related&sea...

cheers

Jameel - 3-15-2007 at 02:12 PM

Nice!

samzayed - 3-15-2007 at 03:46 PM

Check out what else this guy posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGBmAN7JPps

Now that's rare to see, :D

mustafa - 3-15-2007 at 05:44 PM

Allah, Allah....:bowdown:

:bowdown:

kader - 3-16-2007 at 06:23 AM

merveilleux et merci

SamirCanada - 3-16-2007 at 06:25 AM

wow! this was amazing both videos are verry rare and soo nice to hear.