Mike's Oud Forums

Ordering an Algerian Mandole

dinausuare - 12-24-2020 at 03:14 AM

Hello there,

I know this forum is for oud mainly, but as I have seen some members mention the Algerian Mandole in older posts, I thought about seeking help regarding this beautiful Algerian instrument.

I'm willing to order a Mandole from Chaffa's workshop (Khaled Chaffa to be specific) in Algiers soon. Does anyone have an experience with this luthier? If so, how was it? Also, what types of wood do you guys recommend ? And is there anything else I should know before going to the luthier?

I live in Algiers by the way.

Thank you and merry christmas

John Erlich - 12-26-2020 at 10:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dinausuare  
Hello there,

I know this forum is for oud mainly, but as I have seen some members mention the Algerian Mandole in older posts, I thought about seeking help regarding this beautiful Algerian instrument.

I'm willing to order a Mandole from Chaffa's workshop (Khaled Chaffa to be specific) in Algiers soon. Does anyone have an experience with this luthier? If so, how was it? Also, what types of wood do you guys recommend ? And is there anything else I should know before going to the luthier?

I live in Algiers by the way.

Thank you and merry christmas

My friend Moh Alileche is a pretty serious mandol player, as well as being a singer and songwriter. He is an expat Algerian, living in the USA. He returns to Algeria frequently, especially to record. I checked with him, and you are welcome to ask him any questions you wish about the mandol (woods, Chaffa, etc.). (He did say that if you live in Algiers, you should just meet Chaffa directly.) His email is flagoffreedom@flagoffreedom.com

Good luck with the mandol purchase and happy new year!

dinausuare - 12-27-2020 at 11:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Erlich  

My friend Moh Alileche is a pretty serious mandol player, as well as being a singer and songwriter. He is an expat Algerian, living in the USA. He returns to Algeria frequently, especially to record. I checked with him, and you are welcome to ask him any questions you wish about the mandol (woods, Chaffa, etc.). (He did say that if you live in Algiers, you should just me Chaffa directly.) His email is flagoffreedom@flagoffreedom.com

Hi John,

Thank you so much for taking the effort to tell Mr. Alileche about my quest for buying a mandole, I really appreciate it Sir! I'm about to send him an email right now.

Happy new year!

John Erlich - 12-27-2020 at 11:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dinausuare  
Quote: Originally posted by John Erlich  

My friend Moh Alileche is a pretty serious mandol player, as well as being a singer and songwriter. He is an expat Algerian, living in the USA. He returns to Algeria frequently, especially to record. I checked with him, and you are welcome to ask him any questions you wish about the mandol (woods, Chaffa, etc.). (He did say that if you live in Algiers, you should just me Chaffa directly.) His email is flagoffreedom@flagoffreedom.com

Hi John,

Thank you so much for taking the effort to tell Mr. Alileche about my quest for buying a mandole, I really appreciate it Sir! I'm about to send him an email right now.

Happy new year!

Sorry about my mistake, I meant that Moh said that you should just MEET with Chaffa, yourself. English is my 1st language, so I don't have any excuses. :) Anyway, you can ask him whatever questions. I had not communicated with Moh in several years, rarely in fact, since he moved away from my city and state. It was a good excuse for me to get in touch with him. He says he will have a new recording out soon.

hakimoud - 1-10-2021 at 03:13 PM

Chaffa is the reference in Algeria for Mandol, like Nahat for ouds, at the difference that they are still alive , they make very good instruments ! :)
there are lot of other good luthiers, the best thing you can do is discuss with them ! :)