Mike's Oud Forums

Horn rishas

SamirCanada - 12-31-2020 at 08:17 AM

Hey oud family
I am thinking of making a run of horn rishas.

These would be very high quality black Buffalo horn. I make them with heavy side and a thin side for different playing attack. Highly polished

The cost would be 20$ including shipping.
Inquiries at samiroudmaker@gmail.com

Jason - 12-31-2020 at 01:30 PM

I'll buy one if you make them. I've been thinking of trying to make rishas from galalith/casein. I have a casein pick I use for gypsy jazz that is really nice.

Jody Stecher - 12-31-2020 at 04:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jason  
I'll buy one if you make them. I've been thinking of trying to make rishas from galalith/casein. I have a casein pick I use for gypsy jazz that is really nice.

I've had a few casein risha-s. They sound great. They feel great. But they crack. I haven't had a celluloid or horn risha crack. And an actual risha (quill) takes a few years of hard playing to wear out. I wish the casein lasted longer because these picks are a pleasure to use. Maybe I should try soaking it in olive oil for several weeks to make it flexible. That's what I used to do with each eagle feather plectrum.

SamirCanada - 12-31-2020 at 05:16 PM

Never tried casein but I am curious now :)

Will report back with some pictures when the horn rishas are ready. I'll be making about 20 of them.

SamirCanada - 1-2-2021 at 06:25 PM

Hi everyone, just finished the first set of test rishas to iron out my process. Photo to show what you can expect.

If interested please email samiroudmaker@gmail.com

20210102_212347.jpg - 220kB

Jason - 1-3-2021 at 04:02 PM

Those look great Samir, I'll send you an email. I'd be interested in your process of making them if that's something you would share. Are you using a bandsaw to get the rough blank thin enough?

SamirCanada - 1-3-2021 at 05:15 PM

That's the Macdonald secret sauce man ;)

But no kidding there are many ways to skin cow (buffalo)

Bandsaw to rough size, cabinet scrapers and variety of abrasives to polish. Finally some of polishing compound and a natural wax.

SamirCanada - 1-4-2021 at 05:29 PM

I want to take a moment to thank everyone who has reached out and placed an order. I am hoping to manufacture and ship out the rishas with the next 2 weeks.

Cheers
Samir

SamirCanada - 1-12-2021 at 10:16 AM

Thanks to everyone who ordered rishas, I have shipped out the first batch of them today. If there is more interest I can make another run.

Much appreciated.
Samir

Jason - 2-3-2021 at 03:32 PM

I'm really enjoying the rishas from Samir. The size and thickness are perfect for me. I've had horn rishas in the past that were too thick or brittle feeling but these are great. Highly recommended!

SamirCanada - 2-5-2021 at 04:03 AM

Thank you Jason. Glad to hear you are enjoying it
I have a few more rishas left if anyone interested.