Mike's Oud Forums

Hello and سلام!

dusepo - 2-6-2021 at 08:16 PM

Hello and سلام!

!و دورود

:wavey:

I hope this is the right place to introduce myself as a new member here. My name is Jo and I am a luthier from Britain who builds ouds, lutes and many other instruments. This looks like a nice place. :)

I am mainly influenced as a luthier and as a player by Iranian/Persian dastgah music, but also enjoy Arabic, Turkish, Armenian and other traditions.

dusepo - 2-7-2021 at 03:47 AM

Here's a couple of my recent builds, an oud and a renaissance lute:

ArmoOudist - 2-7-2021 at 04:01 PM

Just out of curiosity, what wood is the oud made out of? And is it Arab or Turkish style?

dusepo - 2-8-2021 at 05:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ArmoOudist  
Just out of curiosity, what wood is the oud made out of? And is it Arab or Turkish style?

The ribs and pegbox are European Walnut and Oak, the soundboard is Alpine Spruce, the neck is Spruce veneered with Wych Elm and the fingerboard is London Plane.

It's an Arabic oud but with a scale length of 58.5cm . I was mainly influenced in it's design and sound by Iranian luthiers.

ArmoOudist - 2-8-2021 at 01:09 PM

Interesting, I've noticed you are into Persian musical styles. Are you Persian yourself, or is it just an interest?

dusepo - 2-9-2021 at 01:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ArmoOudist  
Interesting, I've noticed you are into Persian musical styles. Are you Persian yourself, or is it just an interest?

It's just my interest, I'm not Persian/Iranian myself.