Mike's Oud Forums

oud improvisation

Fretless - 4-2-2005 at 01:40 PM

It is with some hesitation I offer this track for your appreciation or otherwise, for the obvious reason that it is not a traditional recording at all. I did some study with Necati Celik, but please do not hold him responsible for this recording! On the other hand, I am very pleased with it.

It is too large for this forum, so please go to http://www.rmguitar.co.uk/sounds.htm and scroll down to a track called 'NINE'. It is a poem recited by its writer concerning the execution of nine pro-democracy activists by the Nigerian government (the government has since changed). Pretty heavy stuff, but I think worth a listen. The oud part is improvised.

In the future I would like to concentrate on more traditional stuff...but for that I have a lot to learn...

Comments, even constructive negative ones, welcome...

Rob

Jameel - 4-2-2005 at 01:51 PM

Wow, Rob. That is very nice, very interesting playing. And a nice sounding oud as well. I couldn't even pay attention to the words, sad to say. You should play something else for us. In a way it reminds me of Issa Boulos' "meditation" style of solo oud. He has a very contemplative style that he describes as carving the music using the oud as the tool. Check out his improvisation video on the videos page.

oudplayer - 4-2-2005 at 08:22 PM

rob very differant but differ i like very nice thx for the link
thx sammy

Orahim1 - 4-6-2005 at 04:23 PM

Rob,
Great piece even though it's not a traditional piece. I also really enjoyed the poetry, very moving to say the least. A nice combination of the oud and the spoken word!

mavrothis - 4-6-2005 at 05:29 PM

Rob,

This was really beautiful. Thanks for sharing man. The poetry was very moving, and your playing is a really sweet combination of oud and guitar techniques. Beautiful, expressive, and truly sad, as the lyrics demanded.

Please continue the great work.

:)

Take care,

mavrothis

Fretless - 4-6-2005 at 11:09 PM

Thanks guys! It's nice not to be crucified for not being traditional. But I have a great respect for traditions, and will be looking into the various oud traditions in the future.

Rob

Fretless - 4-19-2005 at 12:06 PM

Hi moroccan. The oud was Turkish, by Faruk Turunz in Istanbul. Unfortunately I had to sell it and I no longer have an oud! BUT, I am in the process of buying a new second-hand oud (again Turkish), so hopefully I will be playing oud again soon.

Rob
http://www.rmguitar.co.uk