Mike's Oud Forums

Old oud, needs repairs

kamran - 6-14-2021 at 11:10 AM

I purchased an oud in Cairo back in 2007 or 8 which (as you'll be able to see in the attached photos) has a label indicating it was made by one Abdel-Hamid Darwish, and which was refurbished by the reputable Fathi Amin in 2002. The oud was very much my style, with a simple and elegant design, and a light and clear tone. It became my primary performing oud when I had a fairly active ensemble when I lived in the UK, and I really loved the instrument.

A few years ago in an accident the headstock of the instrument came off (cleanly). Subsequently the bowl of the back of the oud has also developed ~3 cracks, along the seams of the wood strips that make up the bowl. I imagine all of this is fairly easily repaired, and I for a long time have wanted to learn how to do the repairs myself. But I think I have to be honest with myself that I don't have the bandwidth to take this on now, and with two other very excellent ouds I can't justify holding on to this one.

So I'd be happy to find a new home for this oud -- perhaps someone who would like to refurbish it for resale, or as a project. To that end, I'd accept reasonable offers for the oud, I think in the range of $500 would be fair but am open to your thoughts or suggestions. Folks in the Boston area are welcome to drop by see the instrument sometime.

Here is a video of me performing with the oud -- it's pretty well mic'd and so this should give a sense of the sound of the instrument when it was playable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGRmWG7mMm0

IMG_6199.jpeg - 138kB IMG_6200.jpeg - 107kB IMG_6201.jpeg - 116kB IMG_6202.jpeg - 115kB IMG_6205.jpeg - 63kB

Jody Stecher - 6-14-2021 at 12:42 PM

What a lovely oud. What are the dimensions please? How deep is the bowl? How wide across the top? And what is the scale length please? (nut to bridge). Thanks!

kamran - 6-15-2021 at 01:13 PM

Hi Jody, thanks for your query. Here are some of the dimensions -- if you need any other measurements please let me know.

Scale (from nut to bridge): 60.75cm
Width (at widest point: 36cm
Depth ~17cm

Also happy to share more photos etc. And yes, I really think it's lovely. I wish I could repair it myself!

Just one last bit of detail: there's no date on the original label -- which is half-covered by the new one -- but from the style of the printing of the label my guess and the guess of the person I bought it from was that the instrument probably dates to the 1920s or so?

Jody Stecher - 6-15-2021 at 01:26 PM

Thanks, Kamran. I have sent you a U2U. I am interested in this oud and in getting it repaired and making music again.