Mike's Oud Forums

HELP NEEDED: Dr Oud's book, Oud Construction and Repair

kampanas - 7-13-2021 at 02:33 AM

Hi Guys,

I've been writing a paper on oud makers for university and was wondering if anyone had a copy of The Oud Construction and Repair by Richard Hankey. A lot of makers have referenced it as a strange source on oud building, I would like to reference it for my paper. All I need is maybe a few photos of certain pages just so I can get an idea of the book and Dr Oud's approach.

Thanks,
Nick

MattOud - 7-13-2021 at 08:36 AM

Hi Nick,
Richard is a forum member here.
I would PM him and ask him personally. Maybe he can answer what you want directly or send you the pics you need.
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/member.php?action=viewpro&...
Cheers,
Matt

alim - 7-13-2021 at 10:09 AM

I would suggest the purchase of the book. It is a great reference and would support and encourage the author!

https://www.lulu.com/en/us/shop/richard-hankey/the-oud-construction-...

Cheers,
Ali-

kampanas - 7-16-2021 at 02:31 AM

Does anyone know if I can get it as an e-book? I sadly don't have time to wait for it to ship from the USA to England.

OudSwede - 7-16-2021 at 10:59 PM

Hello Nick!

Good idea to write an academic paper on oud construction! The world definitely needs more research on instrument making! What university are you at?

I can assist you, by having a zoom meeting with you in which we go through the book together. Hopefully, you will then have all the info you need. Would that help?

Viktor

John Erlich - 7-19-2021 at 09:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by kampanas  
Does anyone know if I can get it as an e-book? I sadly don't have time to wait for it to ship from the USA to England.

Richard Hankey is on Facebook, which is how I contact him. I just sent him and FB message and sent a link to you forum post. Not sure if he has an electronic copy he can sell.

maqamworld - 1-16-2023 at 08:22 AM

Dear Nick, have you completed your paper on Oud construction? I would very much like to read it and cite it in a new work I'm doing. all the best, Johnny Farraj.