Mike's Oud Forums

Cumbus delux sbd

sylvainbd - 11-18-2021 at 09:39 AM

Hello Oud lovers !

Attached some pics of my new creation for the moment called "Cumbus delux sbd" (read below)
The wooden body was very difficult to find and risked to drill etc ... A lot of work for this special instrument with many new details for my luthiery.

Sometimes I wonder if I must change the name of this mix instrument. Not a cumbus / not an oud ... so what's that ? Any idea ? I called it cumbus because the body came from cumbus but every pieces around it I made by myself to feel it like oud ...

Anyway a real pleasure to play on antoher instrument like the oud sound (or similar), with a lot of sustain, easy to tune, action set by screw, good balance ... well you understand I love it :D

Soon video
Oud regards

cumbus delux sbd oud arabic acoustic luthiery france - right.jpg - 82kB cumbus delux sbd oud arabic acoustic luthiery france - face.jpg - 84kB cumbus delux sbd oud arabic acoustic luthiery france holes.jpg - 84kB cumbus delux sbd oud arabic acoustic luthiery france profil big.jpg - 104kB

majnuunNavid - 11-18-2021 at 08:15 PM

Wow that is nice Sylvain. Can't wait to hear it.

How about these for names? lol.

Gambush? - because it's got skin like old Gambus, but it's a jumbush.
Gamboud? - because it's both like gambus and Oud.
Oudbush?
Banjoud?
Mountain Oud? - I think of the fretless banjo tradition in USA, and how this instrument might be good for travel and outdoors.

I joke.

But seriously...
My favourite, inspired by Persian music and Arabic music.

Tarabangiz - ??? ????? - it is a melody that exists in the Radif of Persian music. The word "Tarab" is a word well-known to any Arab; that joyful ecstatic state. Angiz means "to cause". So it would mean "to provoke the state of tarab". It would be creating a name similar to the intention of calling the instrument "cumbus".

There is also another instrument invented and made popular by Hossein Alizadeh called "Shourangiz" which has another meaning.

sylvainbd - 11-19-2021 at 01:59 AM

Wow navid !
Many ideas thank you
Tarabangiz is very nice idea. I love the sense. On the other side something easy to understand as ... Oudbush, wich explain the mix instrument is somewhere another good strategy ? But oudbuch sounds weird .... Argghh I don't know ^^
I think the sustain get by the skin is another interesting idea. In order to explain the sound wich is similar to the oud but with a lot of sustain or reverb .... As an afghan rubab. Udbab ! Bab'ud ! As the door of the oud !! ... joke ...