Mike's Oud Forums

Sukkar Oud Cases - Experiences?

John Erlich - 1-8-2022 at 09:49 AM

Has anyone in the Forum purchases a Sukar oud case? The case for my Iraqi (non-Bashir-style) is falling apart, and I need to replace it.*

https://oud-sukar.com/%d8%ad%d9%82%d9%8a%d8%a8%d8%a9-%d8%b9%d9%88%d8...

*To be exact, the zipper is disintegrating. I think it's actually fixable, but, given my repair experiences (live in the USA), I imagine a full replacement would be more expensive than a new case. I am also hoping that the buckle system on the Sukar case might hold up better.

Thanks in advance for any info or suggestions.

Peace out,
Udi John

Sukur hard case

Edward6311 - 1-8-2022 at 01:34 PM

I got 2 Sukur hard cases when buying Ouds from the Zeryab factory in Damascus in 2019. It was funny that Zeryab was using Sukur hard cases? I gave one to my Oud teacher along with an Oud I brought back for him. The hard case is for him traveling to gigs and I kept one for myself. Not as nice as the carbon fiber hard case I got with my Nazih Ghadban Oud or the hard case my Faruk Turunz Oud came in but still a good hard case. Better than others I have.

Edward

John Erlich - 1-8-2022 at 02:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Edward6311  
I got 2 Sukur hard cases when buying Ouds from the Zeryab factory in Damascus in 2019. It was funny that Zeryab was using Sukur hard cases? I gave one to my Oud teacher along with an Oud I brought back for him. The hard case is for him traveling to gigs and I kept one for myself. Not as nice as the carbon fiber hard case I got with my Nazih Ghadban Oud or the hard case my Faruk Turunz Oud came in but still a good hard case. Better than others I have.

Edward

Thanks!

Brian Prunka - 1-8-2022 at 06:18 PM

I have an older one that looks a bit different than this. It's okay, but the latch isn't particularly secure and there is relatively little padding. All in all, I don't consider it a very protective case and in the vast majority of situations feel that the oud is safer in my old Khalaf gig bag.

But these look like a little different design, it appears they have been improved somewhat since I got mine. Not sure how helpful that is!

John Erlich - 1-9-2022 at 06:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  
I have an older one that looks a bit different than this. It's okay, but the latch isn't particularly secure and there is relatively little padding. All in all, I don't consider it a very protective case and in the vast majority of situations feel that the oud is safer in my old Khalaf gig bag.

But these look like a little different design, it appears they have been improved somewhat since I got mine. Not sure how helpful that is!

Thanks. I do have some other options.

MattOud - 1-10-2022 at 06:54 AM

My sukkar OUD case is/was in bad shape, same as Brian's experience...;latches are no good anymore and the case itself is very thin. It would be good for local use, but NOT for airplanes etc....
I ended up getting another thicker/padded generic one and it seems okay for now.
cheers,
Matt

John Erlich - 1-10-2022 at 09:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MattOud  
My sukkar OUD case is/was in bad shape, same as Brian's experience...;latches are no good anymore and the case itself is very thin. It would be good for local use, but NOT for airplanes etc....
I ended up getting another thicker/padded generic one and it seems okay for now.
cheers,
Matt

Thanks, Matt. I think my first course of action will be to see if a local luggage repair shop could install buckles to replace the broken zipper on the Iraqi case, which is otherwise pretty good.