Mike's Oud Forums

Raqset al-Atlas & Hubbi

Brian Prunka - 1-29-2022 at 09:05 PM

In case anyone wants it, I've shared my transcriptions of the tunes "Raqset al-Atlas" and "Hubbi" here:
brianprunka.com/words/blog/hubbi-raqset-al-atlas-sheet-music

There was an interesting discussion on FB recently about these two tunes and whether one of the composers may have "plagiarized" the other. Personally, I do think there was an influence but not plagiarism. Curious to know what you guys think.

Either way, both are super fun, classic tunes!

John Erlich - 1-29-2022 at 10:08 PM

Thanks for sharing these, Brian! It never occurred to me that these pieces were connected, but I'll listen more carefully.

Brian Prunka - 1-30-2022 at 07:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Erlich  
Thanks for sharing these, Brian! It never occurred to me that these pieces were connected, but I'll listen more carefully.

Cool, thanks John - curious to hear your thoughts. I'm not sure they're connected, exactly, but the similarity is interesting and it's certainly possibly that one influenced the other.

I think it's a good example of compositional inspiration if so. Taking an idea but developing something else out of it. The contrast of syncopated rhythmic figure and lyrical strings is a really nice texture.

John Erlich - 1-30-2022 at 01:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  
Quote: Originally posted by John Erlich  

Cool, thanks John - curious to hear your thoughts. I'm not sure they're connected, exactly, but the similarity is interesting and it's certainly possibly that one influenced the other.

I think it's a good example of compositional inspiration if so. Taking an idea but developing something else out of it. The contrast of syncopated rhythmic figure and lyrical strings is a really nice texture.

"Hubbi" has never been one of my favorite Abdel Wahab pieces. I've always found the melody playful to the point of sounding "juvenile." "Raqset Al-Atlas" is certainly a pleasant enough composition, but lacking in melodic "hooks," (which is not a problem with "Hubbi"). But, probably, perceiving what you describe will take more than one listen to each piece!