Mike's Oud Forums

Carbon fiber hybrid oud project completed

OudSwede - 8-24-2022 at 03:32 AM

Hi!

Some time ago I started to build a Carbon Fiber hybrid oud - 7 courses. The reason why I made it was mainly out of curiosity. During the time, I have asked some questions on the forum and I am in great debt do those answering.

So, first, some info about the instrument itself, and then some reflections and pictures. Since the word of oud making often is a big secrecy, I will here include as much info as I have experienced. I believen in the sharing of knowledge and learning from other's experiences. Just like lute building today is organised.

Carbon Fiber Oud 2022
Shell: Carbon fiber, made by https://www.karbontasarim.de
Top: Cedar of Lebanon (Cedrus Lebani, that lived its life in Tuscany), with Macassar Ebony (so that there are no forbidden CITES woods in my instrument) details, purfling of Swedish oak. The top is bent slightly, just like classical floating bridge ouds.
The neck is adjustable.
Scale: 60 cm.
Strings: Pyramid and Aquila.
Tuners: Wittner fine tuners
Pickup: K&K Pure Mini
Finish: Polyurethane on carbon fiber (needs UV-protective varnish), Nitro cellulose on top

Video of me playing it: https://youtu.be/Ba1PTPtubCs

Reflections

Thank you all for making this forum such a treasure of knowledge of oud making!

Kind regards,
Viktor

CFoud2022Aldrin-front.jpg - 377kB CFoud2022Aldrin-pegbox.jpg - 308kB CFoud2022Aldrin-back.jpg - 281kB

coolsciguy - 8-24-2022 at 07:21 AM

Hi Victor,

It's beautiful! Hopefully this will be the first of many beautiful carbon ouds you make.

Thanks for sharing!

sylvainbd - 8-25-2022 at 12:33 AM

Hello Victor
Congrats for your project !
Make a carbon must be hard ... the first for sure !
Share here a video with a master player in your country to show all sound potential of your instrument ok ?
Last thing I read that your neck is adjustable. Did you use the Sukar maker process ?
Best regard

OudSwede - 8-26-2022 at 01:53 AM

Tanks for all kind comments!

coolsgioud: Who knows, I will definitely continue making ouds, but in this shape? Who knows...

Sylvain: I am very well aware of my limited playing skills, escpecially in front of a camera..;-) But, thanks for the tip. Regarding the adjustable neck: I used a screw nut on the neck and drilled a hole through the upper piece of the body where the machine screw is. Its head is inside the bowl, so If it needs adjustment, i go from inside the bowl. But I thought of making something adjustable from the outside. Perhaps on my next oud. Then the mechanism would be reversed: a screw nut in the body, and the machine screw head in the neck, with a small hole in the neck that can be reached, just like a rod on a guitar, but on the backside of the neck, about 10 cm from where the neck meets the bowl.

/Viktor