Mike's Oud Forums

Readin Music

Amos - 4-13-2005 at 06:02 AM

Hi everyone,
I have just about reached the point where I can't really make much more progress on the oud without learning to read music. I know the basics, but I have no idea how to apply written music to the oud and how to find all of the notes on the instrument itself. Any advice on this huge topic is appreciated. Thanks to all! Amos

TruePharaoh21 - 4-13-2005 at 09:01 AM

Hey Amos.

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=479#pid2480

Check out that post, and see if it helps. You'll find that simply knowing which notes are which on your oud will allow you to do whatever you like, as you'll be able to get into maqam theory and such. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

TP21

Amos - 4-13-2005 at 09:59 AM

Thanks, TP21, but I use a tuning of DGADGC. I was under the impression that this was a common Arabic tuning, and I have been using it for a long time. Maybe I am wrong? Do you have any advice similar to the post you sent me using this tuning? Thank you so much! Amos

TruePharaoh21 - 4-13-2005 at 10:11 AM

Hey Amos,

Open: D... first: D# (or Eb)... second: E... third: F... fourth: F# (or Gb)

Open: G... first: G# (or Ab)

Open: A... first: A# (or Bb).... second: B... third: C... fourth: Db (or C#)

Open: d... first: D# (or Eb)... second: E... third: F... fourth: F# (or Gb)

Open: g... first: Ab (or G#)... second: A... third: Bb (or A#)... fourth: B

Open: c... first: C# (or Db)... second: D... third: D# (or Eb)... fourth: E... fifth: F

Hope that helps... I would say try to tune that bass to C instead of D, as it gives you more of a range, and since many of the maqamat are somewhat "based" on C (though you can transpose and such), it would allow for you to match the note that the maqam is based on to that bass. It's entirely a matter of choice.

TP21