Mike's Oud Forums

Oud - Greek, Armenian, Egyptian Music - Solo Concert

David Niedermayer - 1-14-2023 at 04:23 AM

Hello to the forum,

I'd like to share a video with you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0G_e2_8hWw

This is a recording of a concert I played in 2022. It took place at the university theatre in Bremen.

It starts with a taksim and a Hicaz saz Semai which is a composition of my own :) Then it continues with a medley of makams and pieces from greece, armenia, egypt as well as some of my own compositions*.

1.Tarot (Hicaz Saz Semai)*
2.Watching the Rain (Kurdi Prelude)*
3. Listen to her (Kurdi Sarki)*
4.Woman from Smyrna
5.I Karagatsiani
6.Karsilamas Dance From Thrace
7.Rast Tamzara
8.Nihavend Prelude*
9.Longa Riyad

The Oud in this video is a Faruk Türünz from 2018 which is just lovely to play.

(And sheet music for my own compositions is available!)
:)
Thanks for watching

coolsciguy - 1-14-2023 at 06:50 AM

Beautiful concert and performance, David. Congratulations! I like how you deconstructed and modified Longa Riyad. Your sonority is superb. Can you write a bit about your musical history?

Khalil_Oud - 1-14-2023 at 09:28 AM

Nice performance David ! Pieces choice, playing, interpretation and the Oud too ! congratulation !

David Niedermayer - 1-15-2023 at 08:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by coolsciguy  
Beautiful concert and performance, David. Congratulations! I like how you deconstructed and modified Longa Riyad. Your sonority is superb. Can you write a bit about your musical history?

Hey Coolsciguy,

thanks for your interest. It's nice to have some feedback from the comunity.

---

I studied classical guitar and got my diploma in 2011. Music with a folkloric character always had a special attraction for me. But the most effort I put in composing guitar music. (I had also contact with theatre music, scottish and irish folk, pop, music for movies, classical ensembles...)
After nearly 20 years of playing the guitar I had to start something new and out of a sudden there apperared an oud... :)
A melody instrument that allowed my to learn many melodies in short time. Different to the guitar, wich needs a lot of effort to arrange melodies with harmonie. Also there is a certain repertoire that allowes you to jump into a session with near eastern music performers (although they are not that easy to find in north germany).

Beside all these beautiful addictive things, I can make a little income with the oud. It is rare here where I live and at the same time the interest of the people is quite big.