Mike's Oud Forums

Alallah Mimouna, Ambarka Mas'uda!

John Erlich - 5-2-2005 at 12:35 PM

Hi Fellow Oud-Devotees,

I just wanted to bless you all and wish a Happy Mimuna.

Mimuna is a Moroccan-Jewish festival which marks the end of Passover. It is celebrated with parties with pastries (which are not eaten during during Passover), and other treats, barbecues in public parks, and, at large public Mimuna parties is Israel, with live music.

You can read more about Mimuna here: http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/passover/sephardicpassovercustoms.html (scroll down about 2/3).

It was one of these public parties I attended in Akko (Akka) in 1993 that inspired me to take up the oud. They had a live traditional Moroccan band, with singer, oud, violin, darbukka and riqq. The music had such a drive and energy...I was totally caught up in it. (I wish I had an electronic photo to post!)

"Alallah Mimuna, ambarka ma'uda!" A blessed and prosperous Mimuna to all!

Peace,
John

Alan - 5-2-2005 at 02:21 PM

Thanks for sharing John. Interesting to see so many different customs. We do things according to my Halebian heritage that are similar but in some cases different still.

A few weeks back I had the opportunity to see one of your band members, Lila Sklar, play with an all girl troupe, Divahn, doing Sephardic and Middle Eastern songs. They played in Tarpon Springs, Florida. Very pleasant, she is a wonderful violinist, but I kept thinking, they need an oud in the mix. I mean the music was crying out for an oud. At least from this oudi's perspective.

Happy Mimuna back at you,
Alan

Mike - 5-2-2005 at 02:57 PM

Happy Mimuna John

John Erlich - 5-2-2005 at 03:45 PM

Thanks Mike!

In honor of the day, we'll post a very silly photo of me dressed a la Marocain (for Purim, a the Jewish Mardi-Gras-like holiday):

All the best,
Udi John

oudplayer - 5-2-2005 at 03:54 PM

hey john
chag samach
thx sammy