Mike's Oud Forums

Oud Beginner

Dirzi - 10-31-2003 at 12:47 AM

Hello everyone, i checked this site out a few times, pretty impressive, so i thought i'd join.
i just started playing oud last year, i am picking it up quickly, but i hit a wall sometimes and feel that its hard to learn new things. did most of you in here have teachers or instructors?
I'm thinking about getting a few lessons, but if you guys have any tips, please share.
keep up the good work.

TruePharaoh21 - 10-31-2003 at 08:49 AM

I know that there are a few here that do have instructors, but I don't think it's the majority. I think the beginning is the hardest part, and the rest you can figure out over time. The satisfaction that you get from figuring it out yourself is far greater than what someone can teach you.

Maybe if you can tell us what you're stuck on, I'm sure someone here can help give you some pointers.

Welcome to the posts!

TP21

Mike - 10-31-2003 at 12:13 PM

Hi Dirzi,

First of all, great choice to start with the oud. And don't worry, I've been playing for a couple of years and I continue to hit that freakin' wall! :rolleyes: Just keep at it though.

I would have to respectfully disagree with my good buddy TP21 though. I think if you can, it is very important to have a teacher...especially in the beginning. You should have no problem finding somebody in NoCal too. If you need some contacts let me know.

Take care,
Mike

thanks

Dirzi - 10-31-2003 at 06:57 PM

thanks ya shabab for youre insight, i wil probably end up taking a few lessons, i need to learn some pick techniqes, i guess the only way to learn that is through a teacher.
What is the avarage rate they charge, i've heard from $15/h up to $50/h.

mavrothis - 10-31-2003 at 07:38 PM

hi

there are several teachers in your area i think. let me know if you need help finding people.

the most important thing isn't money really, it's the impression you get from the person. if they seem helpful and interested, you usually can't lose.

i have several contacts out there, please let me know if you would like some extra help finding one.

m

Welcome above us

spyros mesogeia - 11-1-2003 at 01:26 AM

First of all my regards and my respect to our new member....
Also I would like to tell you that my opinion is that a teacher is very important.....but,to inspire you and to have the gift to transmits you what he knows.....
Keep the good work....if you have a problem we are here.....all of us...
Regards:wavey: