Mike's Oud Forums

Students Looking for Oud Teachers

Mike - 11-30-2004 at 05:25 PM

If you are looking for an oud teacher, use this thread to post a request.

Good luck!

Mike

tezza - 11-30-2004 at 09:23 PM

Ok, anyone know a good teacher in Dubai or Abu Dhabi who speaks English?

hisham - 12-3-2004 at 06:05 AM

I am in Beirut looking for a teacher; I already know all the basics.

Washington DC area

Feynfou - 12-8-2004 at 02:55 AM

Hello Friends,

I've been looking for a teacher in the Washington DC area since 3 months, unfortunately without positive results:-(

I have been playing Piano for 20 years. Any help would be very much appreciated.THANX

Feynfou for Kima:airguitar:

Teachers in England

minadimyan - 12-15-2004 at 05:04 AM

Anyone know of teachers in or around London or South East & South West England?

Thanks.

Mina.

Note: Apologies to admin, I hit the 'Post New Topic' by mistake. you can delete it. :rolleyes:

looking in bay area

sabina - 12-16-2004 at 11:12 PM

I am living in Santa Clara and would like to have lessons on the oud.

hi guys

dubai244 - 12-17-2004 at 02:41 AM

some body was asking about oud teacher in dubai speaking english, i guess yes there is one guy his name Nizar Himsy, from syria, he is living in dubai and i heard that he is good teacher. and there is another one in " Holiday-in Hotel" in the first floor, in Sheikh Zayed read ......!!! and any help you are welcome guys ..:cool:

To Sabina

spyrosc - 12-17-2004 at 04:27 AM

Dear Sabina

How far up the Bay can you come ?

How about SFO ?

Spyros C.

sabina - 12-17-2004 at 09:34 AM

I could come near sfo. I live near caltrans so a commute is possible. Are you near caltrans?

Toront Canada

Delucia - 12-19-2004 at 05:58 PM

Looking for a teacher in Toronto /canada. Already know the basic and can play many songs.

I need a teacher

cuteman - 1-3-2005 at 07:44 PM

am in alryadh looking for a teacher; I already know all the basics

Teacher in SF Bay Area

mikeG - 1-10-2005 at 04:11 AM

Sabina,

I highly recommend my oud teacher, Saed Muhssin.

See

http://www.saedmuhssin.com/index.htm.

Saed gives lessons in South San Fransisco.

---Michael

mikeG - 1-10-2005 at 04:16 AM

Oops..make that:

http://www.saedmuhssin.com/

---Michael

Oud teacher in germany

Bilal - 1-29-2005 at 04:49 PM

Hello,
I am in Germany and looking for a Oud teacher. I live in town "Stuttgart"
Thx:) , i know some basics...
I hope someone can help.
my E-mail Adress: hotbk@t-online.de
thx

i need a oud teacher in sicily or italy

fabio - 1-30-2005 at 09:49 AM

hi boys,i'm searching for a oud teacher in italy and\or in sicily...please help me!!
regards.
fabio

GERMANY

CenkMan - 1-30-2005 at 01:39 PM

Hi all,

I am looking for a teacher in Germany. My Exact location ist Kiel which is close to Hamburg.

If you can help me please mail me at
cenkman@web.de

My regards,
Cenk

i need a oud teacher in paris

fabio - 2-3-2005 at 09:56 AM

Hi,my name's fabio.i play oud since one year about.I need a oud teacher for learning to play better. I could go in paris where is most probably to find a teacher than in italy.I got many friends there...
regards.
FABIO

ethnicjazz - 2-7-2005 at 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Delucia
Looking for a teacher in Toronto /canada. Already know the basic and can play many songs.

Hi:
Did you ask Dr George Sawa at the department of Music of York University ?
Let me know, if if you find an oud teacher in the Toronto area.
Mohamed Masmoudi
http://www.ethnicjazz.net

Delucia - 2-8-2005 at 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ethnicjazz
Quote:
Originally posted by Delucia

Hi:
Did you ask Dr George Sawa at the department of Music of York University ?
Let me know, if if you find an oud teacher in the Toronto area.
Mohamed Masmoudi
http://www.ethnicjazz.net

Dear Mohammed You can call Nabeel Shehadeh at 905-508-4785. He's in the richmond hill area. I'll try to contact Mr. Sawa too. do you know his email?

fabio - 2-24-2005 at 09:31 AM

hi to everybody,i need a oud teacher in paris my mail:dibenedetto3@hotmail.com.thank you
fabio

Hilou - 3-2-2005 at 05:22 PM

In michigan, I am very interesting in finding one.
Thanks.,

nivlem - 3-12-2005 at 07:47 AM

Need Oud teacher in Westchester, NY for beginner

I got an arabic Oud from Egypt and would like some sporadic lessons to get me going.

mavrothis - 3-12-2005 at 01:58 PM

Hi Nivlem,

I live in Queens, NY, and am available for lessons on weekends or in the evenings. Contact me for more details if you're interested.

Thanks,

mavrothis kontanis

eg_guitarist - 3-13-2005 at 05:52 AM

I'm looking in Washington DC as well. I've been playing guitar for the past 7 years...never tried the oud but dying to learn.

teacher

avijamie - 3-27-2005 at 12:14 PM

ANyone know of an oud teacher in Paris?

Avijamie

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
If you are looking for an oud teacher, use this thread to post a request.

Good luck!

Mike

Greg - 5-9-2005 at 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gabriel
Merhaba,anyone know one in australia?

There are several. Are you prepared to travel interstate, or would you prefer to find one in the same city or town as you?

Gabriel - 5-9-2005 at 01:08 AM

:wavey:Im in Perth but i cant realy go anywere just yet

Haluk - 5-12-2005 at 12:17 PM

Hi Gabriel,

Get in contact with Dimitri Dalagiorgos,his e-mail address is:
bouzoukimaker@hotmail.com
His address is:6 Booroo Street St. Peters 5069 SA AUSTRALIA

I have told him about you.

Regards.

Greg - 5-13-2005 at 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gabriel
ive just one question for Greg,How do you get all youre Rishas,strings and most important Your UD!!!,i have to order over the internet for i am alone in Perth

Hi Gabriel,

I was fortunate enough to be able to travel to Lebanon last year and I purchased a beautiful oud direct from the master luthier, Nazih Ghadban. He has subsequently sold a couple more ouds into Australia. There are a few luthiers (Mr Ghadban inlcuded) who will send you photos and details on their stock instruments and then arrange purchase and delivery by way of international courier companies. The downside of that process is that you do not get the opportunity to play the instrument before you buy it. For that reason, it is imperative you deal with luthiers who have a good reputation for quality and reliability.
I purchased my first oud many years ago from a Lebanese sweet shop owner in Sydney. I still have that instrument, but it would be best hung on a wall and never played;).

You can buy oud strings in Australia, but most brands are fairly ordinary. I just ordered three sets of Aquila Nylgut from the USA. I buy my rishas from a Turkish food wholesaler in Melbourne. (Bas Trading - 423 Victoria Street, Brunswick). They also have Turkish ouds of reasonable (student) quality.

I don't think you are alone in Perth. There have been posts on this forum from other Perth oud players. One (called joseph) once mentioned that there are two oud teachers in Perth. Perhaps you could U2U joseph to see if he can help.

I would also suggest you contact the Multicultural Arts Centre of Western Australia. http://www.kulcha.com.au
They are located in Freo and would know of any middle-eastern musicians and teachers in your region.

Contact me if there is anything else I can help you with. Good luck.

Regards,

Greg

Gabriel - 5-13-2005 at 09:29 PM

Thank you Greg

it is very comforting to know that i am not alone:),How lucky you were to meet Nazih wich one did you buy,by the way did you see the azad ensemble? they were touring australia a while ago,i think they visited brisbane
Where do you get youre books?

Greg - 5-13-2005 at 10:14 PM

Hi Gabriel,

The Azad Ensemble visited practically every place in Oz except Brisbane. :shrug:
We also missed out on Adel Salameh's last Australian tour. So you see that Perth is not as culturally deprived as you thought. Brisbane is worse.

My Ghadban oud is almost identical to # 1070 shown on his website at:
http://www.oudnazihghadban.com/users/current.asp

I find the net is the best source for sheet music and information on maqamat etc.

Gotta go, I have a gig tonight.

Take care.

Greg

Gabriel - 5-13-2005 at 10:18 PM

Greg that is my favorite oud on his website!! take care on that gig:) If you want me to i can send you a copy of a Cd of the Azad ensemble i purchased at that paticular night?

Haluk - 5-13-2005 at 11:15 PM

Hi Gabriel,

There are 3-4 important oud makers in Izmir.I am also planning to carry my workshop to Izmir,may be in this year.I am in contact with one of my old apprentices for a partnership,produce and export musical instruments.

Regards.

aejaz - 6-22-2005 at 03:41 AM

Any Oud teachers in Ireland or the north of the UK?

Teacher in NY

jerusalemdaughter - 8-4-2005 at 03:57 PM

Hi!!
My name is jami *acutally that's a nickname* and I just got my oud today, like three hours ago. I have no idea what to do with it. I have some musical sense (I can play the flute) but I've never touched a string instrument. I really want to learn the oud, so I can play my grandfather some music...Are there any teachers in Westchester??

Hopeful
Jami

syrianoud - 8-6-2005 at 10:37 PM

Saedmuhssin . I bookmarked your site it is great and very interesting. I will read it all tomorrow it is kind of late now. I printed how to tune a Oud. Very helpful information. Your Oud sound is very nice i realy like it,wish you where in the LA area . salamat and all the best luck to you . SyrianOud

Ottawa?

Delucia - 8-7-2005 at 04:56 PM

Looking for a teacher in Ottawa.

prince-mo - 9-8-2005 at 11:15 AM

Hi friends,
I live in the Columbus, Ohio area, I am looking for a teacher. if you guys know of anyone. plz let me know.:bounce::bounce:

prince-mo - 9-11-2005 at 06:07 PM

I NEED A OUD TEACHER

Hi everyone, I am still looking for a Oud teacher in the Columbus, Ohio area. if anyone knows any teacher or someone who can help. please let me know.
this is my email: benmaimoun@sbcglobal.net

Dallas

amfuente - 9-22-2005 at 01:23 PM

Does anyone know of any oud masters who currently reside and or teach in Dallas, Tx. ?

TruePharaoh21 - 10-1-2005 at 12:25 PM

amfuente,

I remember that there used to be a member that used to frequent this forum quite a bit, ra7aal, I believe. He was an excellent player, and he once told me of an oud teacher that lives in Texas. This was perhaps more than a year ago, but if you were to find a way to contact ra7aal, I'm sure you'd find just the right man to teach you.

TP21

learn oud

flomax - 10-20-2005 at 02:52 PM

Hi, I'm looking for a teacher of oud in Tunisia. Is there somebody who could help me? Thanks a lot.

flomax

ktb711 - 10-21-2005 at 09:39 AM

Hi all,

I'm looking for a teacher or someone who could show me a few things on the oud in Istanbul.

ktb

minstrel - 10-24-2005 at 04:24 PM

Looking for an oud teacher (Greek/Turkish style) in the Canadian Pacific Northwest. I live in Victoria; I suppose it would be worthwhile to contact Dr. Beken in Seattle, but If you know of anyone in, say, Vancouver......
Thanks,
Chris:airguitar:

Teacher in Virginia

firecat - 11-25-2005 at 12:14 PM

Hello,

I am a complete beginner Oud student looking for a teacher in the Richmond or Norfolk VA area.

Ron Carnegie

Oud Lessons

aud - 12-7-2005 at 07:27 AM

Oud lessons-- Looking for teacher in Westchester, NY.

guilhem - 12-7-2005 at 11:16 AM

Hi guys,

I am looking for a teacher in Nantes (France). I have seen a post from June by Syluk about that but I don't know if that member is still around (?).

For teachers in Paris, browsing this site could give some ideas (several posts on the subject). You could also go to "cham music" - oud dealer in Paris and see if they know one (contact on their website).

Guilhem.

Oud players and teachers in Southeastern USA

esquire122 - 12-7-2005 at 12:50 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for an Oud instructor anywhere in the southeastern USA,
please, especially near Atlanta, GA If there isn't one, then I would still like to meet other Oud players in the Southeast USA. I have been playing guitar/mandolin for 30 years, and a Turkish Saz for 4 years. I am just starting to learn to play the Oud and would like to meet others or if possible, an
instructor.

Respectfully,
Mike

Brian Prunka - 12-7-2005 at 08:03 PM

Mike, check your u2u

Lessons in Chicago

mfahim - 1-2-2007 at 09:38 PM

I'm interested in taking beginner level oud lessons. Anyone know of any available teachers in the Chicago area? I have no prior playing experience.

thanks! :D

samzayed - 1-2-2007 at 10:22 PM

I would start by contacting Issa Boulos http://www.issaboulos.com.

Shedo - 1-12-2007 at 04:50 AM

there's a good teacher in Palestine .. called Aebraheem Eeed .. he's the one that tought me and he's brilliant .

BlueRidgeOudPlayer - 2-9-2010 at 10:35 PM

Im a Student looking for a teacher in South West Virginia. Anyone willing to teach?
Namaste ;)

Cocomaan - 3-15-2010 at 12:02 PM

I'm looking for anyone in the Philadelphia area. I'd be willing to travel out of state (NYC, Washington DC) for one or two lessons, but I'd prefer to stay here in town.

Kolthoumy - 3-24-2010 at 11:45 AM

Just wondering, There're different style of plying Oud, what about teaching (or learning how to play), aside from the teacher and the student skills!
i.e Turkish, Armenian, Gulf, Syrian, .... etc.
P.S. not taking any side, Just wanted to know.

Looking for Teacher In Bay Area

Kassidari - 4-9-2010 at 04:01 AM

I'm in Santa Clara, CA
Looking for Teacher in Bay Area.

BaniYazid - 10-19-2010 at 09:10 AM

Hello,

I'm searching oud teacher in Nantes, France. Ou dans les environs, 30-40 km max.

Bye

ICE88 - 10-19-2010 at 10:57 AM

Hi,
Im in the Buffalo NY area looking for an oud teacher

alim - 2-19-2013 at 07:10 PM

Hello, I am looking for a Oud teacher in the SF Bay Area, for myself and my son (16 years old), we are both intermediate level players. Please let me know who is available. I am looking for an Arabic style teacher.

Thanks,

Ali-

ElkLightning - 5-31-2015 at 04:26 PM

Hello!

Student looking for Arabic Oud teacher in West Virginia!

david-klampfe - 6-2-2015 at 02:42 AM

Hallo,

I'mlooking for an Oudteacher in Germany.
Best would be to find someone in the area of Bremen or in a region close to Bremen.

Here is my mailadress:
david.niedermayer@gmail.com

Thanks
David