Mike's Oud Forums

Dhafer Youssef

Greg - 12-16-2005 at 03:44 PM

Thanks to zalzal's Samir Joubran link, I had a look around the site at radioceros.com and discovered a couple of fabulous streaming videos of Tunisian oud player/singer Dhafer Youssef. This is the first time I have seen an oud player using looping and the results are spectacular. And what a voice !!!

Here is the link to the two streaming files:
http://www.radioceros.com/ondemandvideo/dhaferyoussef/dhafer.htm

Regards,

Greg

Wow

sydney - 12-16-2005 at 05:08 PM

What a style?

This is one true oud related post.

Thank you Greg

:applause:

Awesome!

LeeVaris - 12-16-2005 at 05:31 PM

Very unique style. This really shows how well the oud can fit into a modern context... does Dhafer have any albums available?

Unique indeed

sydney - 12-16-2005 at 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LeeVaris
does Dhafer have any albums available?

Hi Lee,

Here you are my friend,

http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/music/artist/listenwatch/0,,1015711...

peppeo77 - 12-17-2005 at 01:42 AM

Dhafer Youssef has made several studio albums, but he also performes in duo with the talented italian trumpet player Paolo Fresu (I guess the video clip is from one of their performances). I've seen them performing live twice in Rome, and I swear that it's really a gorgeous show guys...Th most famous records from Youssef are Digital Prophecy, Malak and Electric Sufi. In all his records he makes several experiments, mixing the oud with western instruments, and with ethnic instruments like nay and indian tabla as well. So guys, enjoy this ethnic mix...
Salamat, Peppeo.

Brian Prunka - 12-17-2005 at 08:37 AM

This is terrific, thanks for the link

zalzal - 12-18-2005 at 05:06 AM

Another link to Dhafer Youssef, just an article, if anybody wants to read it.
http://www.quantara.de/webcom/show_article.php/_c-587/_nr-10/i.html

hakeem.ram - 12-18-2005 at 03:11 PM

I actually like his voice more than his oud playing. His voice is really soulful though!

Vince Millett - 12-19-2005 at 02:25 PM

His albums are absolutely awesome and are definitely an inspiration to keep playing the oud. Not very traditional style, of course, but this world is big enough for a whole range of ways to play the oud. If you ever get a chance to see him live then don't miss it - it's amazing.

Rod - 1-25-2007 at 08:50 PM

Dahfer Youssef - Tour of Australia

Dahfer Youssef plays February/March... Sydney (Opera House Studio) Feb 10, Canberra Feb 11, Parramatta (Riverside) Feb 14, then Adelaide in March. New recording, "Divine Shadows" (Jazzland).

Greg - 1-25-2007 at 10:01 PM

And Brisbane February 9th. :bounce:

Nicola - 1-25-2007 at 11:53 PM

wath oud has he?

Dhafer Youssef's Brisbane Concert

Greg - 2-9-2007 at 06:26 AM

I have just enjoyed a great night of music in Brisbane with Dhafer Youssef (voice & oud), Jatinder Thakur (Indian Tabla) and the very divine "Divine Shadows Quartet" (Cello, Viola and Violins).
Those expecting a traditional oud sound or maqam-based music would have been disappointed. But the combination of Dhafer's sparkling arrangements, incredible voice and spiritual presence, made for a wonderful night that left me on a high.

Don't miss the opportunity to see this performance if it comes to a town near you.

Regards,

Greg

Rod - 2-10-2007 at 12:52 PM

Sydney Opera House concert.... Felt privileged that the maestro should travel all the way to Australia. Sitting with a string quartet to his right (west side) and tabla to his left (east) under the Opera House sails at the other end of the earth, I witnessed the best of 'world' music. Everything posted earlier about this artist is all true, but I was particularly struck by the beauty of the writing for the strings- think Kronos Quartet. Plus those moments when cello sounded like oud, oud like tabla, voice like tabla, violin like oud... just amazing. Not "way out" jazz but innovation with the best of the old traditions.

Nicola - mi dispiace, non so. The websites describing the albums don't describe the oud in any detail. Modern-looking (a brilliant-looking instrument), with pickup, is all I can say.

Regards,
Rod