Mike's Oud Forums

Forum Player's Taqsims and Songs

Pages:  1  2    4

sydney - 2-2-2004 at 01:21 PM

Brian, :wavey:

On behalf of all of us here I'd like to thank you and welcome you to our fourms, I am sure Mike the GREAT man who gladly came up with this wonderful web site is very happy to have you with us.

I personally Thank you for your nice comment. I am really touched. This also reminds me of thanking TP21 who has created a separate web page for me.

It is a great pleasure to have you here Brain.

All the best

Emad

David Parfitt - 2-2-2004 at 02:13 PM

Hi Emad

Could you tell us how we can access your webpage? Look forward to hearing more of your audio files.

Best wishes

David

TruePharaoh21 - 2-2-2004 at 04:09 PM

Hey David.

Here's Emad's website:

http://www.angelfire.com/music5/emadsydney/index.html

Hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us have.

TP21

David Parfitt - 2-3-2004 at 12:56 AM

Thanks TP - this is great!

David

P.S. By the way Emad, can I ask you what your surname is? (I just wanted to know so I can label the audio files properly on my computer.)

sure name

sydney - 2-3-2004 at 12:32 PM

Hello my Oudmate

I thank you for requesting my sure name, I am actually not worthy to be listed in your computer but if you wish you can use Philip.

Regards,

Emad

Webcam

TruePharaoh21 - 2-3-2004 at 03:09 PM

I was wondering if anyone here has a webcam... if so, we could post up some vid clips of ourselves playing. If it gets exciting enough, I think I'll go buy myself a webcam so I can participate. C'mon guys, make it happen.

TP21

Ya lazez Ya raiek

sydney - 2-3-2004 at 06:09 PM

:wavey:

Ronny Andersson - 2-5-2004 at 11:46 PM

Ok here something by me. A special thank to Mike:D

Ronny Andersson - 2-5-2004 at 11:47 PM

Here an extract from one of my compositions.

sydney - 2-6-2004 at 11:22 AM

Hi Ronny :wavey:

I must admit you have a style that I have never heard before. very smooth. Your oud sounds like a heavenly instrument.

Please keep it up I am sure you'll make a difference.

Good luck

Emad from Sydney

Ronny Andersson - 2-7-2004 at 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sydney
Hi Ronny :wavey:

I must admit you have a style that I have never heard before. very smooth. Your oud sounds like a heavenly instrument.

Please keep it up I am sure you'll make a difference.

Good luck

Emad from Sydney

Hi Emad, Many thanks for your comment. I have this style since the very beginning when my first love was the oud music of Bashir. I can also play more traditional and after sheet. I know that many dislikes the expressions from some of the Iraqi tradition like Bashir and Shamma and not least their ouds. But I'm convinced that this style/s will proceed and develope when its the only real creative and innovative that happened in the late 20th century.

TruePharaoh21 - 2-7-2004 at 04:16 PM

Yah Ronny, I gotta agree with Emad. Your oud sounds amazing. Your style is refreshing to hear, and I know that we all definitely hope that it isn't the last time you post one of your pieces up.

TP21

P.S. I've been a bit busy with school lately, but by the end of this week, I'll try to post some kind of file up here. In the meantime, I hope the people haven't forgotten about this post.

Brian Prunka - 2-8-2004 at 04:36 PM

One more vote for Ronny--beautiful style.:applause:

Ronny Andersson - 2-9-2004 at 10:16 AM

Thanks Brian and TP21. About my heavenly sounding oud (indeed true Emad); it was built by Mohammad Fadel, and is a so called Bashir oud. This oud is the one Dr.Oud is building a copy off. I use playing technique that incorporate both eagle risha and finger plucking (also nails).
:airguitar:

Ronny We are thirsty

sydney - 2-12-2004 at 08:10 PM

Play us some more please
please
please
please
please
please
please
please

TruePharaoh21 - 2-12-2004 at 08:28 PM

Emad, we wanna hear you play too, man. Bring it on!

TP21

Ronny Appreciation

LeeVaris - 2-12-2004 at 11:09 PM

I know I'm jumping in here a little late but - wow - very cool stuff Ronny. I'm loving that eagle risha sound!!! Of course the oud sounds great as well but most importantly the playing is very mature... I hear a lot of Bashir in there. Keep it up... lets hear more!

Ronny Andersson - 2-14-2004 at 02:09 AM

Dear Lee and Emad, Be cool..I'll post soon a composition by me and also Love and Peace by Munir Bashir.
I wish more of the forum members could post their soundfiles. Soundquality or musical level is not important!

Alan - 2-14-2004 at 08:54 PM

Fantastic
:applause:Ronny, Munir would be proud:applause:
Regards,
Alan

TruePharaoh21 - 2-23-2004 at 01:48 PM

Wow, this post was the biggest hit for a while and it slowly took a backseat to the others. Ronny, I'd love to hear another piece from you. Emad, without a doubt, you're taqsims can inspire the majority of this forum into picking up their oud and striving to be like you. Basel, I know you haven't forgotten about us, buddy... I hope your oud is fixed by now, and if not, I'm sure you'll post something real soon :) We had a few more, like zeyad and everyone, and I know you guys haven't stopped playing the oud! Pick it up and start playing... just turn the mic on and record and pretend like your just playing to yourself... then post! Let's bring this thing back to life!

TP21

Hello Fine People

sydney - 2-23-2004 at 04:06 PM

Hello everyone, I am so sorry I have been so lazy lately. I'll pick up my oud and try soon, I know I promised something in Saba and other things too.. I will try to keep my promises.

Just Wish me some luck

Emad

Ronny Andersson - 2-24-2004 at 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sydney

I am so sorry I have been so lazy lately.

Me to:D

TruePharaoh21 - 2-24-2004 at 08:38 AM

I think we've all been lazy. But this is now me trying to get you guys back on your feet and getting you snapped out of this laziness! Let's go guys!

TP21

sydney - 2-24-2004 at 12:25 PM

Alright .. alright TP21

you sounded like my father then :D

How come you are not playing? comeON play us something :airguitar:

TruePharaoh21 - 2-24-2004 at 12:36 PM

As your reading this, I'm stuck at school. It's not that I'm lazy, I just have zero time. It's gotten to where I can just play for about 15 or 20 minutes a day, and that's sad. The only thing keeping me from getting upset about it is being able to listen to sound clips of others playing. As I'm typing this, Emad, I'm listening to the third taqsim that you posted for us here. I hope you have a fourth one to post soon, buddy.

TP21

P.S. You're father must be a sensible man, then. :D

sydney - 2-24-2004 at 04:12 PM

Hi TP21 :wavey:

we all hope you are doing well with your studies. I'll post something very soon.

Be well mate

Emad

I'm back :)

bahleh13 - 2-26-2004 at 12:21 PM

Hey guys, nice to see progress on the forums, though all seem busy or lazy ;) Been too occupied with studies, yet seeing this thread running dry from new pieces, I thought i could spare some minutes to record a little taksim and a song too (Emad's request). Too bad the file was big, so i had to take a sample from it, in order to keep it audible (trying to drastically change the quality affects the sound BIGTIME). So I hope u'll like it. I'll find a way maybe to post the whole thing somehow, but for now enjoy. And may this recording be a spur for all the busy/lazy/inactive guys there.
By the by Ronny u r amazing :) Where were u hiding? Sweden is just a few steps away from Latvia, I guess communication shouldn't be that difficult between us :)
So guys, get ur Ouds singing. If I found time and the will to do it, I dont think u guys will have a problem either :D Peace

Yours truly,
Basel :D

P.S. I hope the size is small enough to attach...

sydney - 2-26-2004 at 12:58 PM

Hi Basel :wavey:

I am so glad to see you back mate. I am also happy to be the first to download your sample, sad that I am at work and won't be able to listen to it until I get home. I am sure it is something to look forward to. I'll let you know what I think though. I hope you are doing great with your studies , we need more doctors/odists in Sydney :D

all the best mate

Emad

TruePharaoh21 - 2-26-2004 at 01:32 PM

Basel, yaaa ragel! I heard the intro to Habibi Fein and I was just urging for you to start singing. And then, of course, everyone that downloaded this clip knows what happens next... talent pours out. Hats off to you, Basel.

Emad, the second you get home, I want you to go get your oud... walk to your computer... record, post, and make us all very happy people. I'm looking forward to this, guys.

TP21

P.S. Basel, if I haven't said it yet, you did a fantastic job. If you want to get the rest posted, send it to me at lakerguy_ca@yahoo.com I'll be sure to get it up ASAP.

sydney - 2-26-2004 at 03:16 PM

Okay BOSS ;)

TruePharaoh21 - 2-26-2004 at 04:13 PM

I'll give you an increase in your salary, buddy.

TP21

sydney - 2-26-2004 at 05:28 PM

Hey TP21

How about posting a song that I sang to my fiance one day on the oud. it sounds like a very old style "Ayam El tarabeesh"? I know I don't sound that great but it's got good music to it. See what you think.

Just give me time to get home.

Regards to all

Emad

When is Mike expected to be back? do you know?

TruePharaoh21 - 2-26-2004 at 06:48 PM

Hey man, I'm looking forward to hearing it. Mike gets back to America on March 1, I believe. Hopefully, he and Mavrothis will come back safely. I look forward to hearing you, Emad.

TP21

Basel you sounded great

sydney - 2-26-2004 at 09:07 PM

Basel :bounce: this is what I did while listenning to you " no more to say

good feelings there mate

Emad

Tell me what you think

sydney - 2-26-2004 at 09:32 PM

This is a song that I have lernt long time ago , I have no info about it that I could share .. but I hope you guys like it

:shrug:

I look forward to your opinion

Emad

TruePharaoh21 - 2-26-2004 at 11:18 PM

I expected only the best from you, Emad, and that's exactly what you gave me. Man, don't stop postin clips... I love getting these clips from you, man.

Basel, I listened to you singing all day... my father walked in after I told him that you were playing it, and he agrees that you imitate Farido in a great way, man. Don't forget to send me the rest in e-mail.

Guys, I really gotta thank you for these clips. Don't make me beg every time and post 15 posts in a row by myself trying to convince you guys to post. I love hearing you all play. I honestly mean that.

Great job, guys! I'll try to get something up soon, but nothing that compares to your skills... hats off to you guys.

TP21

BRAVO!!

bahleh13 - 2-27-2004 at 04:03 AM

Emad that was brilliant! And u can sing too! I demand an encore :applause::applause::applause:

I may not be that deserving of the "madee7" I receive from y'all. TP, I feel a bit embarrased knowing that I have another fan in ur family :D I just hope my recording will always impress him like this one :) By the by, u should start recording once u read this post or u'll be denied ur allowance :)) If u wanna impress me more sing too ;) (just kidding man)

So y'all hope u guys are cooking something. Rony I hope those pieces u posted arent the last. Peace y'all!

Yours truly,

TruePharaoh21 - 2-27-2004 at 08:29 AM

Hahaha, Basel, I sing like a chicken that has its feathers plucked on the spot. Let's let me learn how to play the oud first, then after you all think I sound acceptable, I can ruin it all by singing. :D

That's a great skill you guys have to sing and play at the same time. I truly applaud you. Ronny, your up next pal.

TP21

TruePharaoh21 - 2-27-2004 at 11:44 AM

Hey everyone. I just got this clip for Basel, and I wanted to post it for you all. Basel, I apologize if the quality isn't as good as the one you sent me, but I had to compress it. If anyone wants the better quality one, email me at lakerguy_ca@yahoo.com and I'll be sure to send it to you.

TP21

P.S. Basel, you're awesome, man!

Thank you all

sydney - 2-27-2004 at 11:52 AM

Hi TP21 and Basel :wavey:

I thank you so much for your nice coments
I was actually hoping that you tell me what you think of the song it self? did you hear it before? did you like the words?

I'd like to hear from you

Emad

TruePharaoh21 - 2-27-2004 at 01:25 PM

I personally am not familiar with the song, but Emad, you do a great job with it. Any idea who composed it and when?

Be sure to post some taqsim too, man. I loved that intro you had. That's a beautiful touch, bro!

TP21

Sydney

bahleh13 - 2-28-2004 at 11:00 PM

Sydney u have to excuse me, the thing is I never heard the song before and I was afraid that if i said so everyone would think I'm an idiot :)) Just kidding.
But I never heard this song before. It's nice. WHo sings it (besides you)? Maybe u can shed more light on the details of this song. We're waiting, not just for the info, but also for another piece :D Dont disappoint us man, u did a marvelous job, it won't hurt going for an encore, I sure will do the same ASAP :D
TP, how exactly does a chicken sound like when it's being plucked on the spot? :) Maybe u can show me a good example :)) Anyways, if u feel too shy to do so, at least a post with some Oudism, it is not fair that u only spur us, u should fully participate (and the lecture goes on)...
Ouds, Oudists and Oud songs rock :xtreme: Peace y'all

Yours truly,

TruePharaoh21 - 2-28-2004 at 11:19 PM

I know, man, I know. I'm a hypocrite, aren't I? I will post one up after my midterms finish this week. Don't be fooled, it's not like you should wait a week in eager anticipation of great things to come. I just don't wanna disappoint... but all of you guys are doing fantastic, and I applaud you all.

In the meantime, bring on some more clips!

TP21

zeyad - 2-29-2004 at 03:00 AM

Hi guys,
wow, Sydney, I love the song. Is it an old Egyptian song? Please, tell us more about it. Basel "my great internet teacher :) " you are really good at Farido :) . Your singing of Habibi fein is just wonderful. As TP21 said, I listen to it again and again and never get bored..... and I will not.

I just got back from Japan . I will post something today. And we are wating for you TP21
Zeyad

TruePharaoh21 - 2-29-2004 at 10:09 PM

Hey guys. As long as we're posting songs, I thought I'd post this one. Basel, it wasn't just a coincidence that I mentioned it you before.

Instead of waiting a week to post something, I had about 5 or 10 minutes to play, and so I just recorded this.

But really, nice song, ain't it? I don't sing in it, but I hope you enjoy the playing.

TP21

zeyad - 3-1-2004 at 12:04 PM

i try EsalRohak. By the way, is the section I played Rast on F ? I wonder if any of you guys have the music sheet of the song.

Zeyad:airguitar:

Hello Fine People

sydney - 3-1-2004 at 12:26 PM

:bowdown:

I am so glad that everybody got going and started posting. that is the way guys

Zeyad and TP21 I can not wait to get home and listen to your music , but at least I know there is something nice to look forward to at the end of my day.

All the best

Emad

zeyad - 3-2-2004 at 05:56 PM

TP21, man.... you developed a nice sense of timing in just short time. I am still working on it :) . In my opinion, your playing is smooth and hold together better than before.
Your Oud is amazing. It has really deep and rich (sharqi) sound. Let me know when you are selling it :D .
It sounds to me that the high G need some tuning.. what do u think? Hey... thank you for encouraging us to post some sound clips :)
Zeyad

TruePharaoh21 - 3-2-2004 at 06:11 PM

Zeyad, I'm far off from being "held together" :D. I, too, like the sound of my oud. Your oud is truly beautiful, as well. I like the piece you played from Esaal Rohak. Sometimes, if I want to play something that sounds like a scale, I'll put on Esaal Rohak and fastforward to the 23 minute. It's a beautiful piece, and you do quite well with it.

Post another piece soon, man. I definitely want to hear more from you.

And thank you for all of your kind words. We truly are all part of a huge oud family. :)

TP21

Ronny Andersson - 3-3-2004 at 01:01 PM

>Where were u hiding?

I'm not hiding, only introvert...next week I play a concert with some poets..

> Sweden is just a few steps away from >Latvia, I guess communication shouldn't >be that difficult between us

Indeed true! Would be fun to have a jam session don't you think?

sydney - 3-3-2004 at 01:49 PM

Hey shall I send you some BUTTER for that jam you guys are going to have?
:D

Have fun

Emad

bluesyOud - 3-6-2004 at 09:09 AM

I hope this is a taksim in around saba and naviend!!!!my key note is G!!!on the rythm section is Band in a Box!!!
anyway hope you won't hate me for this!!I'm new to eastern music and the false notes are many!!!!I'd like your comments!!!In the future I'll be better I promise!!!!:D

Ronny Andersson - 3-6-2004 at 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bluesyOud
I hope this is a taksim in around saba and naviend!!!!my key note is G!!!on the rythm section is Band in a Box!!!
anyway hope you won't hate me for this!!I'm new to eastern music and the false notes are many!!!!I'd like your comments!!!In the future I'll be better I promise!!!!:D

I love it, it sounds like Snakefinger:D

TruePharaoh21 - 3-7-2004 at 10:17 PM

bluesy, I'm not sure if I've welcomed you to the forum yet, but hey... welcome! How long have you been playing oud for? I like how you play things in such a mellow fashion. Several times, we get caught up in all these tricks that we forget how nice it sounds to just play the soft and slow notes. I hope this isn't the last we hear of you on this part of the forum.

Again, welcome! :wavey:

TP21

bluesyOud - 3-8-2004 at 05:25 AM

thanks TruePharaoh21 for the good words!!!I play the oud for 6 months,but I play electric guitar 5 years.A year ago I removed the frets from my old guitar because I heard someone playing the oud(I had also heard someone playing fretless guitar).This attempt was somekind of disaster,so I decided to get the real thing!!!and I just fell in love with the oud and the music it represends!!!!:))

bluesyOud - 3-9-2004 at 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bahleh13
TP once again I tell u u never fail to amaze me. Thanx for the delivery to my mail too :) I sent a more detailed praising there, but I will not deprive u of the comments u deserve in front of all the good listeners here in the forum: knowing u TP, good is a BIG UNDERSTATEMENT for such a taksim. And here's my response with a taksim (u can here the wood creak in the beginning_ u know the reason man :() with a short fragment of my perspective in kurd. Hope y'all will like it. I was also experimenting my new custom-made pick: soft, but gives a good sound, enhances the rashat (when u rapidly and repeatedly pluck up and down), far better than the blunt thick pick; however a slight loss in control is an issue here :shrug: I guess no pick can be perfect. Anyways, the sound quality isn't quite the best either coz I had to compress and recompress the file to a suitable size. Enjoy Kurd on G:

Yours truly,

I really liked this taksim!!!:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

new taksim

bluesyOud - 3-9-2004 at 08:19 AM

Hi guys,
this is my new taksim hope you like it!!!
[hope:you miss my false notes(please!!!)]
:bounce::D

Back again...

bahleh13 - 3-9-2004 at 09:43 AM

Hey guys! A lot has been happening while i was gone, anyways I'm back to remark and post :D

Ron, it'll be a jam alright, I'll just see how can we meet, ferries are more or less frequent to and from Sweden here. Time to change from intro to extrovert :)

Sydney, if u can provide the butter, grab ur oud on ur way and we'll have breakfast, all of us. Someone else has to join to provide the toasted bread :)

Zeyad thanx a lot for ur comments, u werent bad either with es2al rou7ak, singing too (TP I hope ur reading this). Keep up the good work man.

TP :) If only I had known our chats get u to post, heck I'll sing for u day and night ;) Let's schedule a meeting online somethime man. Great work on the oudism as well as the timing (zeyad was right). SO keep it up.

BluesyOud, welcome to the forum and thanx for ur comments about my taksim. Allow me to add u r quite innovative on the Oud, I never heard anyone play with guitar technique on the oud before, and it sounds quite ok with u. No false note, only slight noncoherence with switching back from saba to hijazkar. I'm sure with work u'll do fine, and I do expect more posts, otherwise i'll be disappointed with u; u got potential.

Anyways, here is a small taksim I made again with a part of a song. TP I know the drill, the mail is definitely on its way by now to u with the full song :) Enjoy y'all :D Peace!

yours truly,

john (beloved) habib - 3-9-2004 at 10:09 AM

whoah.. that thing is awesome... it sounds so good that I'm a bit confused... you played the Oud ... along with a recording of Farid's ? I can play a bunch of Abdel Halim songs, so it'd be cool to be able to do that... how'd you get both Oud and Farid in one recording... simply played along with the song while recording both... or something more complicated?

nice stuff...

You7anna el 7abib :)

bahleh13 - 3-9-2004 at 11:07 AM

Thanx a lot man for the complements. One thing for sure I cant understand where exactly the recording confused u. It's quite simple man, i was playing and singing :D I dont think I sound exactly like Farid, no one can, he's the King, and his voice is unique!! Anyways thanx a lot. I love ur Oud man, how much exactly was ur budget? do u have a mail with large space? I'll send u a special file, I'm sure u'll like it :) Emad I also hope u can read this and have a yahoo account or another accound with BIG space.

yours truly,

john (beloved) habib - 3-9-2004 at 11:28 AM

Oh my gosh... I thought YOU sounded like FARID..... And I'm being 100% serious. Now... I listen to his music so much, I can't believe I couldn't discern the difference... So ... I just want to say that you have an awesome voice... fooled me! Wow.

Thanks for the compliments on the Oud.

I'll send you a U2U message with my emaill address. THANKS SO MUCH. Send me more!

john (beloved) habib - 3-9-2004 at 11:32 AM

oh.. I just realized the subject of your previous post...how'd you know my name's "youhanna el habib"? that's pretty cool, not many people make that connection, and to make that connection in Arabic... cool :)

TruePharaoh21 - 3-9-2004 at 12:00 PM

Hey guys. I'm loving how active this post is becoming. It's a dream come true. Basel, excellent job doing Habeeb el Omr. You're very convincing, buddy.

bluesy, you really bring the guitar style to the oud. It just goes to show how open the oud is to giving such a beautiful sound. Excellent job.

Basel, I cleared out my inbox from lakerguy_ca@yahoo.com just now, and it didn't have any space for you to send me the file, so try sending it there again and I'll be sure to post it.

TP21

bluesyOud - 3-9-2004 at 01:04 PM

bahleh13 thanks man,I'm trying my best,
I'll keep on practising !!!Comments like yours are helpful for me!!!!
I liked your Taksim Nahawand and your singing!!!!:wavey:

Thanx y'all

bahleh13 - 3-9-2004 at 04:43 PM

:) thank you guys for the nice comments. I hope that my post wont be just for me to receive comments but the get the others to post as well.

Thanx bluesy, I hope we'll be getting a new recording from u soon, I really like ur style a lot, coz it's different, interesting, and exciting. I just wanna see how the Oud can adapt to guitar techniques without losing its identity, and you seem capable of showing me so man. Keep it going.

TP the mail is resent, I'm happy u liked it, trust me I think u'll love the rest coz i believe it is the first time I played Habib el Omr so good. By the way when you compress the sog the quality maybe isnt that good, but it sounds better than when i compress to a similar size, you have to teach me how to do it, but then again I wont be needing to send u the files, so u choose which is beneficial for u (I believe if it stays the way it is is better). I expect a post very soon from you :D

John (can i call you Hanna for short?) again thanx for your praising, and i sent you a mail with something nice and i hope u will like it a lot. Hopefully you'll be posting soon as well, so that you may share with us the sound (beautiful no doubt) of your new beautiful Oud.

Come on guys, everyone's starting to post, so let's keep it up. Peace y'all. Emad ur missed a lot, thrill us with ur melodies once more.

Yours truly,

Very soon Basel .. very soon ya habob

sydney - 3-10-2004 at 03:32 PM

bluesyOud - 3-13-2004 at 08:23 AM

this my new taqsim!!!!comments please!!!
:D

Brian Prunka - 3-13-2004 at 02:12 PM

okay, I'm finally posting something . . .
the recording is not very good, but here it is anyway:

ushshaq masri taqsim

bluesyOud - 3-13-2004 at 02:51 PM

hey, this topic is on fire!!!!!

:wavey: everyone:D:D

another

Brian Prunka - 3-13-2004 at 02:54 PM

this one's a little better quality:

farahfaza taqsim

bluesyOud - 3-13-2004 at 03:04 PM

Brian I know one thing for sure!!!
I've heard many ouds in this forum's topics.
I don't know about the quality of your mp3,but your oud and everybody elses
in this forum sounds better than mine!!!
I hope in the future I'll offer to myself
a better instrument!!!
(although a bad instrument isn't an
excuse for me playing badly)!!!

:(:(

Ronny Andersson - 3-14-2004 at 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Prunka
okay, I'm finally posting something . . .
the recording is not very good, but here it is anyway:

ushshaq masri taqsim

Very nice Brian.:D

Ronny Andersson - 3-14-2004 at 08:48 AM

Here's an extract from a very long improvisation by me in Maqam Bashiri. A big thank you to Mike who compressed the file.

Mike - 3-14-2004 at 08:55 AM

It's my pleasure Ronny.

Great playing man. :airguitar:

:applause: :applause: :applause:

bluesyOud - 3-14-2004 at 11:04 AM

Ronny that was great man!!!!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

TruePharaoh21 - 3-14-2004 at 11:13 PM

It's a pleasure to hear you all play. Each of you has such a distinct way of playing, and I appreciate each style.

bluesy, you bring a new flavor to the oud that I didn't think imaginable. I ask that you record as much as you can right now. I wouldn't like for this style to disappear any time soon. Keep it with you, because it's yours.

Ronny, your ideas are simply wonderful. You do a great job holding one note and playing the other different ones.

Brian, your style is distinct as well. It has a flavor of the old and the new, and its an awesome blend. Farahfaza has always been a favored maqam of mine for some time now, and you a great job with it.

I have two questions...
Ronny, is your oud electric? and...
Brian, is your oud a 7 course oud?

Again, I love hearing all of you. I look forward to hearing more, guys. Thanks for giving me these awesome clips.

TP21

Brian Prunka - 3-15-2004 at 08:51 AM

Hi TruePharoah,

thanks for the compliments . . . I have a long way to go in my playing.
To answer your question, I have a regular 6-course oud with the CFADGC Arabic tuning.
Why do you ask?

bluesyOud - 3-15-2004 at 09:21 AM

Tp21 ,I'll keep on studying and posting,
your nice words are very flattering!!!
:)

TruePharaoh21 - 3-15-2004 at 09:30 AM

Brian, you seemed to me to be very comfortable with the higher notes, as though they were right there. I assumed that you had a 7 course oud in order to reach the higher notes, but apparently, you're just talented!

TP21

You guys are simply amazing

sydney - 3-15-2004 at 08:40 PM

I am not going to use names but I can say all of you guys are great in what you do on the oud. Amazing how the oud brings the creativity in us. I thank God for the oud. I can not imagine the world without it.

God bless you all.. please keep on playing

Emad from sydney

Ronny Andersson - 3-16-2004 at 08:15 AM

Tp, my oud is not electric. Listen to some early recordings with Bashir and you hear the similarity.
The Bashir oud by Fadel is very expressive when played with eagle quill and that you master a certain style and technique (my own off course). The ¨quasi polyphony¨ can be played in various ways.
I'm soon buying a classical oud and then I post something composed by Farid - a oud player who is completely different my own way to express, but I can play his music.

TruePharaoh21 - 3-20-2004 at 03:36 PM

Lee, I tried all the file extensions that I could think of, but nothing worked. I found it peculiar that when I downloaded it, it downloaded it in a tenth of a second, and I'm on dial-up... nothing I download goes that fast. Perhaps the file itself has errored. What did you use to record it?

TP21

Music upload

LeeVaris - 3-20-2004 at 03:39 PM

Ok... I took the liberty of deleting my previous uploads because the files were corrupt somehow during the upload process - see the most recent post for the file!

TruePharaoh21 - 3-20-2004 at 03:43 PM

Lee, I think it may have been a bit too large. It wasn't able to post. If you'd like, you can send it to me via e-mail at truepharaoh21@yahoo.com and I will post it up for you. If not, then try downsizing it. I know it'll sacrifice some of the sound quality, but at least we'll hear it. :)

TP21

Mystery file

LeeVaris - 3-20-2004 at 03:47 PM

On my Mac the file is a 272 KB .mov – if I use iTunes to convert it to an mp3 it grows to 1.4 megs and its too large to post. I'm not sure what to do next other than "stuff" it as maybe a "zip" archive. I don't have a lot of audio applications.

Maybe someone can recommend some freeware/shareware apps for this sort of thing?

Another Mourice Shehata Oud sample

john (beloved) habib - 3-20-2004 at 03:56 PM

It's my Ney and my new Mourice Shehata Oud.

Dayman Ma'ak - with my Mourice Shehata Oud and my Ney

Another attempt

LeeVaris - 3-20-2004 at 10:19 PM

For some reason I'm having a lot of trouble getting my "Quicktime files through the server upload. I don't have the same problem with my server so I've posted the file on my site - you should be able to access it here:

http://www.varis.com/Oud/Nahawand-040320.mov

This is a 650 KB Quicktime .mov file that is audio only - it downloads and plays in Safari and Internet Explorer on the Mac – I imagine that if you have the appropriate Windows plug-in installed it should play fine on Windows systems.

Anyway... all this trouble for a pretty poor example of beginning oud playing! Don't laugh too loud... I might hear you over the internet.

TruePharaoh21 - 3-20-2004 at 10:27 PM

John, I love the sound of your new oud. Mabrouk! I'd love to hear you play some taqsim as well. I love the song though. This one as well as the one on the other post. Great, man!

Lee, you finally got it up! Who made your oud, buddy? You play it very well. You've adapted to the arabic sound nicely for the Nahawand maqam. Keep it up!

TP21

Zulkarnain - 3-21-2004 at 02:42 AM

I cant hear anything..can anyone help?

Thanks

bluesyOud - 3-21-2004 at 04:11 AM

lee ,very melodic sound man!!!!!!:D

Mp3 version posted

LeeVaris - 3-21-2004 at 09:48 AM

As an experiment I'm posting an mp3 version - this is about 1.5 megs, quite a bit larger, so... longer download!

http://www.varis.com/Oud/Nahawand-040320.mp3

Hopefully everyone can play this one - let me know! I'm still trying to figure out all the ins and outs of these audio file formats.

Thanks for your patience - TP21 & Bluesy, thanks for your encouragement, I know I've got a long way to go yet.

john (beloved) habib - 3-21-2004 at 11:04 AM

thanks for the compliments. i've never done a taksim. but, . . . i'll learn and maybe post one this summer. :)

bluesyOud - 3-21-2004 at 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by john (beloved) habib
thanks for the compliments. i've never done a taksim. but, . . . i'll learn and maybe post one this summer. :)

We should all post our taqsims friend!!!some are profesional,some beginers,some
in the middle.We should help eachother
progress,and critisism(followed by good
will )is a great help.Don't be afraid to post
something friend I'm sure every body would like to hear it.After all the purpose
is less important than the journey!!!!
I'm looking forward to listen your
taqsim!!!regards!!!
:bounce:

john (beloved) habib - 3-21-2004 at 02:42 PM

thanks for your thoughtful and wise words.

I guess I'll post one sooner than later...

but I seriously have little knowledge where to begin. I never thought I'd ever play taksim because frankly it didn't matter much to me . . . then I heard all the wonderful taksims on this forum and from a bunch of classical musicians . . . and I realized taksims are pretty neat.

I need to figure out what taksim is more... is it just making up stuff, utilizing basic techniques from master oudists (like Farid, ....etc)?

I think that's the place to start... i guess.

anyways... thanks for the encouragement.

TruePharaoh21 - 3-21-2004 at 03:29 PM

I'm not sure if the masters had so-called "basic techniques," but yes, they had their own techniques. I'm not an authoritative figure on taqsim. In fact, I'm far from knowing what I'm doing at all when I'm with the oud, but from what I've heard from those who have been trained longer on the oud, you should listen a lot to the masters and try to imitate them. I also think that you should form your own technique along the way. With a great sounding oud like the one you have, things will come faster than you think (after all, it is a Ferrari like you said, right?)

TP21

john (beloved) habib - 3-21-2004 at 05:19 PM

haha .. ya . . . ferrari . . . :)) thx for the advice

My first taksim on my new Mourice Shehata Oud

john (beloved) habib - 4-16-2004 at 03:50 PM

This taksim is a mix of different things that might sound familiar . . . a taksim I heard, some wannabe Farid, a coptic hymn, and then my own stuff mixed in in the latter portion of the click.

It's pretty bare . . . anyways . . . it's my first try so I hope you guys like it ...

My First Taksim

TruePharaoh21 - 4-16-2004 at 03:52 PM

I like the flow, man. And the sound of the oud is pretty kickin. I was just thinking today how this thread has started to take a backseat lately, but I think your playing may get some people inspired.

I remember my first taqsim, and it didn't sound anywhere near as good as that. You got my vote, buddy.

I think you have a great ear for even figuring out that much of Farido's taqsim. Hats off to you, pal.

TP21

john (beloved) habib - 4-16-2004 at 04:00 PM

thanks a lot man. I appreciate it.

one thing . . .I'm having trouble with is making the placement of my right arm, (upper arm, elbow, forearm, wrist, and pick grasp) comfortable.

I don't know how high to put my upper arm on the Oud, or how low . . . . how far to put my hand infront of the bridge (how far in front of the bridge I should pluck so I don't put too much strain on the strings and at the same time acheive a desirable sound) . . .

TruePharaoh21 - 4-19-2004 at 10:00 PM

John, I think it just comes with time. Your right hand will start to naturally go to where it's most comfortable, but make sure that it's still a decent distance from the bridge so that it doesn't sound like you're slapping the strings (you haven't done this, I'm just forewarning you).

Keep them coming, man!

TP21

Pages:  1  2    4