Mike's Oud Forums

Forum Player's Taqsims and Songs

Pages:  1    3  4

TruePharaoh21 - 4-19-2004 at 10:02 PM

Hey guys. I was reading some of the posts that we've had go up here for the last few months, and one of the ideas I had suggested was to have a maqam of the week. Are people still up for this idea? If so, be sure to respond. I'd love to hear some input. If not, then I'll wait a few months and see how you guys feel about it then.

Looking forward to your replies.

TP21

Zulkarnain - 4-19-2004 at 10:08 PM

Great Idea TP!!

:bowdown:

TruePharaoh21 - 4-28-2004 at 09:46 AM

Hey Zul. I forget whether or not you've ever posted a sound file of you playing. If not, I'd love to hear something. If you have, please go ahead and post something for us. Let's hear the music behind the man.

TP21

sounds like a good idea TP21

sydney - 4-28-2004 at 02:44 PM

:wavey:

TruePharaoh21 - 4-28-2004 at 02:57 PM

My other good idea is to hear another piece from you, Emad! I'm on a good-idea streak right now.

TP21

Sure TP21

sydney - 4-29-2004 at 04:11 PM

I know I have been so lazy lately but my only strong execuse is that I am getting married on the 15th of May this year and you guys can imagine how is it like to organize things for marriage when you are working full time.

I'll do my best.

Thanks TP21 for remembering me.

Regards for every one.... pray for me and wish me luck.

Emad from Sydney

Zulkarnain - 4-29-2004 at 07:38 PM

Hi Emad

Congratulation!! (and welcome to the world of commitment!:D)

Regards
Zul

Thank you Zul

sydney - 4-29-2004 at 08:13 PM

:wavey:

Mike - 4-30-2004 at 07:02 AM

Alf Mabrouk Emad Basha! Wishing you much happiness in the future!

Cheers mate!

Brian Prunka - 4-30-2004 at 07:05 AM

Congrats Emad!

TruePharaoh21 - 4-30-2004 at 08:49 AM

Wow Emad. Congratulations, man! Best of wishes to you, buddy.

TP21

Many Thanks To All Of You

sydney - 4-30-2004 at 12:28 PM

:bowdown:

I deeply thank all of you for your wishes. I do wish you all the best of everything too.

Mike , Thanks for the wonderful Oud Family you have created. It would not have gone that far if it was not for you.

Brian, Peter and every body Thank you so much.

Emad

TruePharaoh21 - 4-30-2004 at 09:05 PM

Zul, don't think we forgot about you, buddy. We still wanna hear you play. :cool:

TP21

Zulkarnain - 4-30-2004 at 09:09 PM

Hi TP!

oh yes..Im digging some old stuff that I record with some frens back in the UK and here in Msia...a matter of time now I guess :D

Zul
**I need some software though-its all on MD!Any suggestion buddy?

TruePharaoh21 - 4-30-2004 at 09:11 PM

Zul, forgive my ignorance of what MD is. Can you clarify? Once you let us know, I'm sure we can help. :mad: <---not mad, just ignorant.

TP21

Zulkarnain - 4-30-2004 at 09:19 PM

Hi TP

Its a Mini Disc (MD for short) I hope anybody can help! For the mean time have a quick start clips on a short taqsim Bayati on D! Thanks!

Yea Zul...

LeeVaris - 4-30-2004 at 10:48 PM

Very cool!
The recording sounds great... which oud are you playing here Zul? Very nice... I want to hear the rest of it !!!!

Zulkarnain - 4-30-2004 at 11:46 PM

Hi Lee

The Oud use on that clips is an old Turkish type Oud-Fadzil Ahmad (my oud teacher here in Malaysia) use it alot for his live performances and recording!

Regards
**still having difficulty transfering my MD files to the HD!

Spot on Zul

sydney - 5-1-2004 at 02:10 AM

I did like your right hand notes mate.

very touching and sopt on.

What happined to the rest of it?

:xtreme:

TruePharaoh21 - 5-1-2004 at 02:37 PM

Zul, are you teasing us with only a minute long clip? Bring on the rest, man! It's as though the movie was starting, and then they kicked everyone out of the theatre... let's get the rest of it! :D

TP21

Zulkarnain - 5-1-2004 at 08:55 PM

Hi guys!

Sorry for the short entrance on the first clips-I should just leave the whole thing there but Im affraid its going to be too long (a violin takasim kicks in right after that one).

Check out another clips (Hijaz)!

Regards
**sorry if I mislead anybody regarding the last post-its actually done by my oud teacher-Fadzil Ahmad(still having difficulty with the MD transfer)

TruePharaoh21 - 5-1-2004 at 08:56 PM

Zul, you mean the player in the clip is your teacher?

If so, we're all still waiting on you, buddy. Take your time, but not too much!

TP21

Zulkarnain - 5-1-2004 at 09:02 PM

Hi TP

Yes-I thought while waiting for my one maybe I should give everybody a bit of introduction of how the Oud sounds like here in our region-for the 2nd clips, Fadzil play with an Oud made by a luthier here in Malaysia (one and only oud maker here in our country)

Salam

No Harm Done Zul

sydney - 5-2-2004 at 01:23 PM

We will be waiting....:shrug:

Emad from sydney

TruePharaoh21 - 5-13-2004 at 08:59 AM

Zul, figure out a way to transfer it from your MD yet? :cool:

TP21

I just felt like posting this

john (beloved) habib - 5-19-2004 at 07:45 AM

I'm mimicking this guy I have a video of... he's a professor in California I think... deals with music... he might be on this site...

Nonetheless, here's my copy (mostly) of his taksim...

my copy (mostly) of a taksim

john (beloved) habib - 5-19-2004 at 07:57 AM

ALSO, can anyone give me tips on how to make the sound I'm producing better? Specifically, I can hear too much of my Risha.... I really don't like that... I just want to hear the Oud... I don't know what to do... I'm going to try the Tor-Tis thingy from Jameel...

Also, I play a bit far from the bridge... maybe I should get closer?

Thanks all

TruePharaoh21 - 5-19-2004 at 08:52 AM

Hey John. The file sounds great, man. I think the professor you may be referring to is Ali Jihad Racy from UCLA. He's a very nice man.

As for where you play... I used to play much closer to the bridge, and it made a clangy sound. If Mike reads this, he'll remember that perfectly. I was told that I should play a bit further away from the bridge, and I believe it did the trick.

I'm sure someone can answer your question about the dynamics of the risha and how to get rid of the slapping sound, though I do know that some people like this sound (not the clangy one, but where you can actually hear the risha clicking against the strings). I was recorded by a friend of mine for Church with quite an amazing sound system, and he had to put 3 mics on me to get rid of the slapping sound and bring out the richness of the oud.

I hope you post more, buddy. It's about time someone got this started up again.

TP21

john (beloved) habib - 5-19-2004 at 09:13 AM

thanks for the info.... and the support... ... ... :wavey:

Elie Riachi - 5-21-2004 at 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TruePharaoh21
I'm sure someone can answer your question about the dynamics of the risha and how to get rid of the slapping sound, though I do know that some people like this sound (not the clangy one, but where you can actually hear the risha clicking against the strings)....TP21

I think using a stiffer rishi will reduce the slapping sound in addition to playing farther away from bridge.

Elie

john (beloved) habib - 5-21-2004 at 06:20 PM

I already play pretty far from the bridge.... but i tdo think my risha isn't stiff enough... thanx... i'll try that...

TruePharaoh21 - 2-7-2005 at 09:37 AM

Hey guys. It looks like this thread has been forgotten by you all. Has everyone stopped playing songs and taqsims? Come on, guys! Let's get this ball rolling again. I know there are some people here who are just starting, and this is a great place for encouragement! Let's hear what you guys got!

TP21

Found this on my computer.....

Jameel - 2-7-2005 at 06:53 PM

....thought I would post it before deleting it. This is a Palestinan oud by Jubran, 1988. I completely re-made most of it last fall. It sounds allright, eh?:shrug:

Click for Taqasim

mavrothis - 2-8-2005 at 05:10 PM

Very nice Jameel. :airguitar:

mav

TruePharaoh21 - 2-8-2005 at 06:00 PM

Jameelo! I'm so glad that you posted. And what a post! It's a great video. What's this talk of deleting? No deleting! :D

TP21

SamirCanada - 2-8-2005 at 08:27 PM

wow.. that was great. Salam edeik:bowdown:
I'll try to contribute aswell hopefully Revaldo will join in too:D
well untill then

Brian Prunka - 2-10-2005 at 03:15 PM

Yeah, Jameel . . . when did you record that? The oud sounds really good, and your playing of course . . .

here's something of mine:
jurjunah

Jameel - 2-10-2005 at 04:43 PM

Thanks, Fellas:bowdown: You're the tops!

Brian, I just came across that file on my hard drive. My father must have recorded that with his dig cam while I was unaware or something, because I don't remember it! It was from last fall I think, because I gave that oud back to Issa months ago. The jurjunah is great. I assume it's your composition. Really great.

jurjunah

hamed - 2-10-2005 at 05:33 PM

Brian, great playing, youre playing really reminds me of Simon Shaheen. keep it up sir

Brian Prunka - 2-11-2005 at 11:07 AM

Thanks guys for your comments. You're right, Jameel, it's one of my compositions.

mavrothis - 2-11-2005 at 02:30 PM

Beautiful Brian. I'm sorry I keep missing your performances. I will definitely come out soon. Please keep us posted when and where you'll be playing.

By the way, was Megan playing violin on this recording? It reminds me of her sound.

Take care,

mavrothis

Brian Prunka - 2-12-2005 at 08:04 AM

Thanks, Mav . . . yes, that was Megan playing violin.

TruePharaoh21 - 2-15-2005 at 10:19 AM

Brian, you're a great oud player, man. Thanks for posting this great clip.

I urge the rest of you to try to find some time to post a clip of you playing as well. No matter if you're a beginner, an intermediate, or a professional. We'd love to hear you all play!

TP21

Jameel - 5-25-2005 at 12:22 PM

I though it was high time to revive this thread, so I went asearching on my hard drive and found this. Must have recorded it last year. It sounds like I started off in Nahawand, but quickly switched to Rast. Who knows, I'm no expert. :shrug: Let's hear again from you all......:xtreme:

Taqasim "Rastawand"

revaldo29 - 5-25-2005 at 01:44 PM

Man Jameel, very nice. Is your oud original or have you modified it? The sound is just amazing.

oudplayer - 5-25-2005 at 02:53 PM

JAMEEL KEEP IT UP TO GOOD
THX SAMMY

Jameel - 5-25-2005 at 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by revaldo29
Man Jameel, very nice. Is your oud original or have you modified it? The sound is just amazing.

Thanks Revaldo. I just fixed the back mostly. It is a nice sounding oud. http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=857#pid5941

TruePharaoh21 - 5-26-2005 at 12:05 AM

Morcos, you can go ahead and send whatever you'd like me to post on here for you to truepharaoh21-at-hotmail.com (replace -at- with @) and I'll be sure to help out in whatever way I can.

Good luck ouding!

TP21

oudplayer - 5-26-2005 at 05:20 AM

hi oud student
who makes yr oud its very nice and i am loving the back of it . can post a sound file ?
thx sammy

habeebkum - 5-26-2005 at 05:41 AM

yes please could you treat us to a sound file?!! your oud looks fantastic. the neck looks like its longer than the ouds that i have seen....is it?

Mike - 5-26-2005 at 08:06 AM

Hey Morcos,

Really nice oud my friend. I think it's made of bird's eye maple ("eyn katkoot" in Arabic). Very cool looking for sure. Your playing was very nice too. Another Copt on the forums. You should get together with Joe in Sydney.

Take care,
Mike

SamirCanada - 5-31-2005 at 08:06 PM

Common Guys... dont forget this thread :bounce:

Btw.. I found the best way to make a nice pegbox. Thanks to Jameel
Thanks
Samir

What happened to this thread?

sydney - 4-4-2006 at 03:28 AM

Guyes it would be a shame if we give up on a thread directly related to everyone of us.

Go back you will see how much work has been put in it.

haram ya nas :shrug:

Please keep this thread alive.

Thanks

Brian Prunka - 4-4-2006 at 07:11 AM

Maybe Mike can make this one and "maqam of the month" stay at the top of the forum?

SamirCanada - 4-4-2006 at 08:47 AM

That would be a solution I think.

Mike - 4-4-2006 at 10:00 AM

Done fellas...

revaldo29 - 4-4-2006 at 11:12 AM

Man what a great thread! Thanks for bringing this back up Emad. I will definately try to post something when I get a chance probably this weekend. Also, Emad, I have to repost this site that TP21 made with your recordings.

http://www.angelfire.com/music5/emadsydney/index.html

I loved the third taqassim. Emad, if you don't mind me asking, how long have you been playing oud? Any formal Training? The one thing I find myself strugilng with the most is to produce an authentic Arabic sound. I always stray away and start playing something that sounds more western than arabic. Thats probably becuase I spent 7 years of my life playing in a school band where I listened to western music for at least an hour every day.

wow

sydney - 4-4-2006 at 04:55 PM

If everything in life would come that easy !!!

Thank you Brian for the idea and thank you Mike for making it happen.

Revaldo29, Thanks for your kindness. I look forwards to more of your playing. I think the best advice to you is to listen to more of arabic songs and melodies. try to focus on one that you think you like and master it. Jumping from one song to the other without mastering one is not going to help you. for example try a song like "Zalamoh" for Abdel Halim Hafez - listen to it carefully - ask members about it if you have any questions try to play it well then move to another song. This way you will learn and have good experience. I am sure we all are ready to help when we get a chance.
Good luck. I have been playing on and off for about 17 years now. What helped me the most is listenning to lots of arabic songs and trying to play them. I was also lucky to have Mr. El Turk Anton who helped me alot. Mr. El Turk is one of George Mecheal cusins.

I am so thankful for TP21 for making this web page. I wish I can do the same for him. Thank you all for your kind words. :bowdown:

Please lets post more oud playing.

timescion - 4-10-2006 at 08:56 AM

hey everybody im a noob at ouds, ive only been practicing for about a year seriously and im not that good i think.

i made a quick taksim and i would like your opinion about it.

im turkish by the way.

please listen to it and post your opinion.

my oud is bad, i know.

here is the link,

http://rapidshare.de/files/17665340/my_kurdilihicazkar_taksim.mp3.h...

SAGR QURAISH - 4-26-2006 at 11:21 AM

hey all

Aziz - 5-28-2006 at 02:34 AM

Helloo

This is my taqseem enjoy it or not!

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=3807

jshead - 5-29-2006 at 02:20 AM

The member music posts are one of the very best parts of the forum.

AdelOud - 6-10-2006 at 03:44 PM

Hi,

Emad (sidney), you are a very good oud player. You make oud sings the nostalgic arabic melodies. You have more than enough Tarab in your hands(you could give us some of it, if you don´t mind, jejeje).

thank you for such nice music,

Adel

sydney - 6-11-2006 at 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AdelOud
Hi,

Emad (sidney), you are a very good oud player. You make oud sings the nostalgic arabic melodies. You have more than enough Tarab in your hands(you could give us some of it, if you don´t mind, jejeje).

thank you for such nice music,

Adel

Hello Adel,

I thank you for your kindness and really appreciate your well selected words.

I do miss Egypt a lot and indeed the more I play the oud the more I wish to go there for a visit. I thank God for the oud for it preserve the culture in me.

What about you brother?

AdelOud - 6-11-2006 at 11:33 AM

Hi Emad,

It´s the same thing with me. I was born in Lebanon and I can´t wait to get back for a visit. I live in Santiago, Chile. With all things happening there it´s very painfull to see your country being destroyed again and again.

The oud, is my visa and my ticket travel to my traditions, who lives now in my heart.

I think it´s so great this kind of website, because it makes meet people form all over the world who fight to preserve there traditions thrue art and music.

I hope some day to record something and post it to shear with you too.

hughs,
Adel

Aziz - 6-20-2006 at 10:44 PM

Hellooooo Oud lover :):wavey:

Now let me introduce my latest Taqseem:airguitar: to all of my fans allover the plant :D no need to let them suffer and wait longer :cool:

Enjoy it

Aziz - 6-20-2006 at 10:53 PM

Why cant I hear the clips?

The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Open the http://www.msocp.com home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
Click the Back button to try another link.
Click Search to look for information on the Internet.

HTTP 404 - File not found
Internet Explorer

=======

Thats happned with most of my trys to play any attachement!

Jameel - 6-21-2006 at 04:55 AM

Aziz,

Nice taqaseem. Very Farid-like. Thats my server youre having problems with. I don't have much space there, so I eventually delete the files. It's not your fault, there is simply nothing there to download. Sorry....

kevingermain - 8-2-2006 at 04:29 AM

wow! there is some great taksims on here, well at least the ones I could hear...

Here is a link to one that I did:

Muhayyer Taksim

take care!
kevin

ghariri - 10-3-2006 at 05:22 PM

Hi All,

I can't seem to see any of your attachments, can anyone help?

I have attached something that i just recorded. I don't know much about taksim but I am learning. Let me know what you think.

G.

ra7aal_14 - 5-27-2007 at 04:02 AM

oky her is my takkaseem..... playing faride

http://www.savefile.com/files/756606

TruePharaoh21 - 6-4-2007 at 09:57 PM

Hey everybody,

Here's the taqsim from the Kan Zaman concert last week. Hope you all enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae_KMg10fss

Beas.One, I didn't get to meet you, but I remember you posted somewhere on the forum that you'd be there. Mike, I saw you front row (!) but I didn't get to catch up with you afterwards. Hope you're doing well, buddy.

TP21

hijaz taksim

kasioti - 7-16-2007 at 09:03 PM

Well....I was contemplating on if I should post something up here or not. I went on a limb and recorded two of my favorite scales (hitzaz and minor). I was going to post just one. I haven't really shown anyone my work so please feel free to critique my playing. I've had no guidance through my journey with the oud so I can use some here! :D

Enjoy.

This taksim was played with this oud: http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=6409
Mihali

kasioti - 7-16-2007 at 09:10 PM

File was too big.

Hopefully these links work.
http://www.savefile.com/files/894173

http://www.savefile.com/files/894174

Greg - 7-16-2007 at 10:21 PM

Thanks for sharing your music Mihali. I enjoyed it very much.

Regards,

Greg

thank you

kasioti - 7-19-2007 at 01:47 PM

Glad you enjoyed it. When I get my Najarian oud, I will post another one again. ;)

AGAPANTHOS - 12-12-2007 at 03:33 AM

Hello to all of you,
A friend from Sallonika sent me, several weeks ago, a non professional video made in a tavern, in Sallonika one year ago.
Althought i believe that the sound is bad, the musical performance is a mediocrity, and the pieces are not complete, i hung it on the Youtube only for one reason. I have a strong belief that music creation and feeling have to be socialized at any risk.
Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q7W94SYNXo

PeppeOud - 12-14-2007 at 02:47 PM

That's George!
Take my greetings to him, i'm Peppe from Italy!

PeppeOud - 1-2-2008 at 02:52 PM

Here two songs where i play oud:

http://myspace.com/peppefrana

corridoio - 1-2-2008 at 06:01 PM

e bravo Peppe!
molto bella anche la registrazione
complimenti
ale.

PeppeOud - 1-3-2008 at 04:36 AM

Ma grazie!!!!

PeppeOud - 2-18-2008 at 10:43 AM

There's a new song on my space http://myspace.com/peppefrana :)

jamal47740 - 4-7-2008 at 09:22 AM

THINKS FOR EFFOET

Raabiah - 4-9-2008 at 02:13 PM

way too impressive!

gilgamesh - 4-9-2008 at 02:50 PM

Ma ché bella prestazioni Peppe!
:airguitar:

Aziz - 8-8-2008 at 09:57 PM

short dan-da-nah (free playing) enjoy it :)

click here

or here

PeppeOud - 12-21-2008 at 11:45 AM

i put some new sound on my space:

http://www.myspace.com/peppefrana

:)

fhydan - 3-15-2009 at 05:52 PM

There are so many great oudists here that it's quite intimidating for us novices to post anything.
Oh well, here's one novice's attempt at a taqsim. If you have any tips on how I can improve myself, I really would appreciate them. :)

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~fdhelaan/t_fhydan.mp3

Sazi - 8-23-2009 at 07:00 PM

Ok, finally I get a sound up, could'nt find the sheet music, (couldn't read it anyway!) so I just made my own arrangement from a few different versions, hope you like it...Recorded in Cubase using a cheap condenser mic., Please excuse my daf "playing"

Disclaimer: Any resemblance to traditional techniques or the original piece is purely coincidental, - I'm just a monkey with an oud! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQrV6iQSkN0

fernandraynaud - 8-23-2009 at 08:39 PM

I like it, the tone is very emotional and tender.

Sazi - 8-23-2009 at 08:46 PM

Thanks Fernand, I'm glad you liked it, I tried to convey some of the feeling contained in the words of the song, maybe soon I will be able to sing it...

Yes, the Ayad Aswad oud is a beautiful instrument, I'll try to put a picture up of it

Cheers, S

Sazi - 8-23-2009 at 08:50 PM

Here we are...(I hope!)

[file]10781[/file]

[file]10783[/file]

[file]10785[/file]

Sazi - 8-23-2009 at 08:53 PM

A couple more...

[file]10789[/file]

[file]10791[/file]

Two new videos...

norumba - 9-8-2009 at 06:46 PM

....from a couple of pieces in progress. One based on Huseyni, the other is a slow wistful tune....

Huseyni piece

slow piece

fernandraynaud - 9-9-2009 at 05:19 PM

Really like both of them. The only thought is work on getting a deeper timbre with mic'ing and/or postprocessing. But both are very beautiful, especially the second. So you're going to add another oud track or?

I also really loved that slow "bending" Anodoloke guitar piece under Norumba/sama duo, with the major thirds. FWIW how heavy are the strings you use?

norumba - 9-9-2009 at 06:46 PM

thanks Fernand --- pleased that you enjoyed them! i didnt do any postprocessing or good micing, just straight off the cam...

as to the Anondoloke piece ( a beautiful Tagore number), i used pretty light strings for the most part-.0095, .0115, .016, .028, .038, but an.056 on the low E, since its actually pitched all the way down to C. tuning is , hi to low, f-c-g-C-G-C - basically a sarod tuning with an added low 5th and octave. I keep the fretless tuned this way also...

thanks for checking it out!

kordi - 9-29-2009 at 02:01 PM

nice

improvisation for Iran

norumba - 1-5-2010 at 06:26 PM

improvisation for Iran

in two parts... a little abstract in places, but hopefully its of interest:

part 1

part 2

Sazi - 1-5-2010 at 09:22 PM

Very nice! Great sound too... I noticed the lead plugged in, what pick-up/mic system are you using? Thanks, S

norumba - 1-5-2010 at 09:56 PM

Thanks! Its a K and K Western Mini, the four-transducer one; the sound is actually a mix of the Flip Cam Ultra HD mic and the direct transducer recording. No Eq on either, just some very light compression and some equally bare minimal reverb.
 Pages:  1    3  4