Mike's Oud Forums

Hello All... New guy

Bow - 12-9-2003 at 07:06 AM

Hi there!

I am new to this site and to the Oud...

I purchased an Oud in the mid-90's from a shop in Dubai, UAE while visting there.

I was just going to use it for decoration, but now I would like to use it for recording. I am a guitar player of 15 years [and I still am not very good, but I have fun! LOL]

I have never played a Fretless instrument before, so this is a little intimadating for me.

I was wondering about tunings? I have a Boss TU-12H tuner, so I can get it in tune, but I am thinking to start, I may tune it to Standard Guitar tuning, EADGBE. is this possible?

Any suggestions for a real beginner?

Thanks!

Jameel - 12-9-2003 at 10:12 AM

Welcome!

OudCafe is a great site for getting started.

http://www.oudcafe.com/oud_basics.htm

Also check the video section of this website.

Mike - 12-9-2003 at 12:09 PM

Hello Bow,

Check out this site. It is a nice page that introduces the oud to the guitarist. I think with your guitar background, and for how long you've been playing you'll pick up the oud quickly.

Good luck,
Mike

Thnaks Guys

Bow - 12-10-2003 at 04:44 AM

I will check it the sites...

Upon closer inspection of my Oud, I found the Craftmanship is probably "Decoration Only"... :(

The soundhole cut into the sound board are rough andn the string height is not uniform.

However, I did tune it up to a tuning I know well enough to play with [A,D,G,B,e], grabbed teh closest Guitar pick [a heavy Dunlop because I didn't have a large Zip-Tie handy :shrug: ] and cut a recording using my MXL V57M condensor mic. :D

I do believe I can expand a little more with this instrument and maybe able to use it in some of my other recordings.

Thanks for the help guys.