Mike's Oud Forums

Looking to start

Tai - 2-13-2006 at 07:18 AM

Hi there,

I would like to learn to play the oud, so I am looking for a starter oud. This seems like the right place to ask for advice.

If anyone knows of any teachers in the Northern Virginia, USA area, I would also appreciate that information.

Thank you,
Tai

Tai - 2-13-2006 at 01:55 PM

I found this one on amazon, but there is no user feedback, so I do not know if it is any good. Has anyone tried this starter oud?

Thanks.

revaldo29 - 2-13-2006 at 05:13 PM

Hey Tai,

Your a smar man for coming herer first and asking. To buy that oud on Amazon. Its the biggest rip-off I've ever seen. Check this link out for some more info:
http://mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=3241

Tai - 2-14-2006 at 06:59 AM

Thank you, that thread was very useful! It seems that the consesus is that Haluk provides the best starter Turkish Ouds, and that they can be strung/tuned to closely resemble the Arabic sound. I will take that route if no one can suggest a source for an Arabic one.

What about sources for Arabic ouds? I can spend 300-400 US$ plus shipping if there is no place local to Virginia.

Thank you everyone, very informed community here :)

Tai - 2-14-2006 at 09:58 AM

I have found this one at Lark in the Morning. It is a bit more expensive than I was aiming for, but it comes with a hard case. Does anyone know if this is a good oud? I believe it is not the same as the one being sold on amazon.

Hatem_Afandi - 2-14-2006 at 10:17 AM

Again Tai,
Lark in the Morning is not a site I would recommend.
Best Regards,
Hatem

Tai - 2-14-2006 at 01:15 PM

Thanks Hatem, I won't be using them :)

I seem to have lucked out and found the perfect solution.

Hatem_Afandi - 2-14-2006 at 02:15 PM

Hi Tai,
That's good news. Please keep us updated.
Welcome to the magic world of the oud.
Best Wishes,
Hatem

PrinceAbigor - 2-17-2006 at 11:39 PM

Hi everyone I am new to this site! First of all, I really enjoy visiting it and learning more about the art of oudism everyday! I am experianced with the electric, bass, and acoustic guitar, dulcimer, and mandolin, and I would like to make the oud my next investment. I am a left handed player, and I have talked to Haluk about a possible lefty model, which I look forward to aspiring toward (I am in the process of saving up money as we speak!)
Besides what has been stated, any other advice? Thanks!

MARTAN - 2-18-2006 at 02:18 AM

HI
KEEP GOING WITH HALUK THIS IS FROM MY PERSONAL EXSPERIENCE.
YOU ARE GOING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.DONT FORGET THE HARD CASE.
Regards from Martin EILAT,ISRAEL:buttrock:

PrinceAbigor - 2-18-2006 at 10:44 PM

Yes I really don't see how I can pass that up. I just played my first show with my folk/ethnic project tonight in front of about 300 people. They went crazy for our arabic-styled song that is played on acoustic guitar, keyboard, djembe and darbukka. The reaction was great, and immediately after the curtains closed, I knew that the oud is definately the acoustic instrument for me.

Tai - 2-21-2006 at 11:48 AM

Where did you all play? I might make it down that way with enough incentive :)

I lucked out and Mike sold me his sycamore oud, so I've gotten the oud and am now trying to find a local instructor and/or as much oud information as possible.

I'm a complete musical noob :)

PrinceAbigor - 2-23-2006 at 02:00 PM

Hey Tai. We played at a local auditorium here in Rowan County, NC. My black metal band actually has a show booked in Floyd, Virginia for May 13th. Maybe you can come out? You should bring your oud! I'm really wanting to get a left handed one, but I've never had the pleasure of seeing one in person. Email or message me at InfernalPrince@msn.com if you want more details.
Later! -Abigor