Mike's Oud Forums

Guild of American Luthiers

Jonathan - 2-18-2006 at 07:26 AM

I just joined the Guild of American Luthiers. DocO had mentioned it somewhere in another post.
I know, I know-- I haven't even completed my first oud yet. The reason for the post, though, is to tell you guys about three of the most incredible books I have ever purchased. The guild has re-published all of their journals from 1985-1993 in three nicely produced hardcover books (a fourth will be out soon).
These three books have so much information on instrument making that I have a hard time putting them down. A lot of it has to do with guitars and violins (but still with applicable information), but quite a bit deals with the lute. They are just incredible, incredible books. I actually found a page or two on my grandfather, Sam Varjabedian, a fairly obscure lute and oud-maker in Detroit (Volume 3, pages 47 and 48)--not a lot, but enough to make me happy.
The books are $45 for non-members. They are worth a lot more.
http://www.luth.org

Jameel - 2-19-2006 at 04:39 PM

These books have been on my "christmas list" for years. I actually have a couple back issues of the magazine. Make sure you check out (I'm sure you already have) issue 48/winter 1996. The article on baroque guitars has some great tricks for production work that could be applied to ouds. I especially like his method for making rosettes. I guess I'll have to pick these up after all. Thanks for the review, Jonathan.