Mike's Oud Forums

My new oud by Dimitris

mavrothis - 2-24-2006 at 04:59 PM

Hi guys,

Thought I should share my new oud by Dimitris Rapakousios. I just got it a few weeks ago. It has a beautiful sound and not so wide body, like some older ouds from Istanbul.

I really love what he did with this oud, and the sound is something else. The body is all flamed maple, but antiqued so it is darker. The bowl has the same great texture as the Nahat copy he made for me, and I love it. It's a simple but elegant instrument.

Hope you enjoy it.

Sincerely,

mavrothis

mavrothis - 2-24-2006 at 05:00 PM

Back

mavrothis - 2-24-2006 at 05:02 PM

Rosettes

mavrothis - 2-24-2006 at 05:03 PM

Neck

mavrothis - 2-24-2006 at 05:05 PM

Pegbox

mavrothis - 2-24-2006 at 05:05 PM

Bowl texture

Greg - 2-24-2006 at 05:36 PM

Congratulations Mav, it's very beautiful.

Play it in good health my friend.

Regards,

Greg
PS It would be nice to hear it ;)

Wm. De Leonardis - 2-24-2006 at 06:08 PM

Mav,

Congrats!!! Another beautiful oud by Dimitris! The flamed maple looks great. I love the “bumpy” texture on my Dimitris, too. There’s something about the way it rests against your body that makes it incredibly comfortable to play.

Please post a sound file. It’s been too long since we’ve heard your great playing. :xtreme:

William

Mike - 2-24-2006 at 07:00 PM

Congratulations Mavro! It's beautiful my man. It's funny you mentioned the width of the oud. The Hifnawi oud I recently got has an extremely comfortable and sleek body as well. I wonder when the switch to wider bodies occurred? Needless to say, D-money did a killer job. Can't wait to hear this bad boy!

Jonathan - 2-24-2006 at 07:02 PM

Beautiful, Mav. And I am with the others--it's been way too long since we have heard you play.
Congratulations!

mavrothis - 2-24-2006 at 07:09 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. This oud is making me very happy, and inspiring me to work on my playing as much as I can.

I almost missed on that one

sydney - 2-24-2006 at 09:29 PM

Congratulations Mav.

Beautiful oud for a good player... Perfect match.

Play it in great joy.

udi19002000 - 2-25-2006 at 04:17 AM

Bravo Mavro, kaloriziko to neo sou oyti. Kala paiximata, kales mousikes.

Multi Kulti - 2-25-2006 at 10:24 AM

Ontos koukli einai...Na to xairesai kai auto Mavroudi kai na se sunodeuei omorfa...

Nikos

Marina - 2-25-2006 at 12:20 PM

Good for you Mav! :xtreme:

Hatem_Afandi - 2-25-2006 at 12:47 PM

Conratulations Mav,
Looks like a pefect match, a great oud played by a great musician.
Enjoy it,
Hatem

Hatem_Afandi - 2-25-2006 at 12:48 PM

I didn't see Sydney's post. Obviuosly it is the case!

Jameel - 2-25-2006 at 07:30 PM

Mav,

Congratulations. Very "old-school". And that's how I like them. What's with the black tassel? And when do we get to hear it?? You're killing us, man.

mavrothis - 2-26-2006 at 12:18 AM

Hehehe, my good friend Spyros sent me the tassel as a gift, he has them on all his ouds too. It takes some getting used to, but it's kind of cool. My first oud teacher used to put a nice eagle feather between the last and second to last pegs on his ouds, and it's a pretty touch I think. He had some old feather picks in his collection.

I'll try and get a sound file up soon also. Thanks for all your nice words, but believe me, if you like the sound of the oud, it is b/c it is a great sounding oud. :)

Thanks again,

mav

syrianoud - 2-26-2006 at 07:14 PM

Mavrothis..Mabrouk one great Oud..It looks great..Looks like very well done...Play it with good health.
Regards.Samir, California

mavrothis - 3-4-2006 at 02:30 PM

Using my new iMac/Garageband...

Hicaz Taksim - Dimitris Ud

mavrothis

LeeVaris - 3-4-2006 at 03:12 PM

Wonderful !!! :applause:

Mav your playing has matured quite nicely - very elegant Taksim... subtle and original phrasing - great stuff. When is your album coming out? The Dimitris Ud sounds great - I do have one question. What kind of mizrap do you use? Hard or soft? You have a very interesting sound in the attack!

oudman - 3-4-2006 at 04:03 PM

Mav
First, mabrouk on the beautiful new oud.
It really sounds awesome and i can tell you are enjoying it. I really missed your playing and it was great to hear you as always.
Use it in good health
Your friend
Victor

mavrothis - 3-4-2006 at 11:47 PM

Thanks guys, I really love this oud. Hopefully I will finish another recording on it and post it as well, I wanted to have it ready with the taksim but I still need to work it on it some more.

Lee, the pick I use with this oud is just one of those clear Turkish picks, which I buffed to make a little smoother than it was.

:)

SamirCanada - 3-5-2006 at 12:34 AM

That was a wonderfull Taksim with a wonderfull oud by a wonderfull player.
Iam happy for you about this oud. Its trully a simple elegant oud.
Take Care and play it in good health my friend.

Brian Prunka - 3-5-2006 at 07:44 AM

Wow Mav, you sound great as usual.
The oud looks great, sounds great.
I'll have to come by the golden barrell one of these days.

spyros mesogeia - 3-14-2006 at 02:50 AM

Hey Mav,
Congratulations my friend,when I played it on the airport I was sure that this will be for you.
Aderfe ta daxtyla soy einai meli....o 8eos na se exei panta kala kai na paizeis to oytaki soy panta se eytyxies.
Regards to all:wavey:
Spyros Koliavasilis