Mike's Oud Forums

My Faruk Türünz oud

Greg - 2-24-2006 at 06:11 PM

Hi all,

After a rather troublesome number of "UPS" delays, my new oud arrived last Tuesday.

The workmanship is extrordinary, it looks great and I love the sound. What more could anyone want?

My photography leaves a lot to be desired (like my playing), but here are a few pics.

Regards,

Greg

mavrothis - 2-24-2006 at 06:27 PM

Gorgeous! Congratulations Greg, what a beautiful oud!

Jameel - 2-24-2006 at 06:49 PM

Gorgeous, Greg. Is this an arabic oud? Tell us more....

Mike - 2-24-2006 at 06:55 PM

Congratulations Greg! I'm glad it's finally there safe and sound. Usta Faruk did a fabulous job.

Jonathan - 2-24-2006 at 07:01 PM

Oh, man, that is killer. What is that, mahogany? Looks unbelievably great. Congratulations!

Greg - 2-24-2006 at 08:34 PM

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

I love this oud and I am very thankful to Faruk for his many kindnesses.

Jameel,

I asked Faruk to make it for Arabic tuning, but to retain the standard Turkish scale length. He offered to make it any length (or neck width) I wanted, but I have become comfortable with 58.5 cm.
So the soundboard and braces are specially designed for the Arabic sound. The certificate says, :- The bracing model of this oud has been named as "Arabic Sound - June 2005 Model."

Jonathan,

The bowl and neck wood is Pommele. According to Faruk, it is a rare kind of Mahogany.
It looks very similar to the beautiful mahogany on your new Dincer oud.

Regards,

Greg

Mabrouk Haboub

sydney - 2-24-2006 at 09:13 PM

Very good looking oud, obviously well made by an artist and top oud maker master Farouk.

You deserve everything good in this world Greg. I mean it mate.

Play in good health.

Mabrouk....Very nice Oud

syrianoud - 2-24-2006 at 10:21 PM

Mabrouk My dear friend Greg . Very nice Oud. Hope you will play it with good great health.
Hope that you doing great. God bless you and your family.
My very best regards...Samir.

SamirCanada - 2-24-2006 at 10:25 PM

WOW!!! Mabrouk
Wonderfull job on the oud. Congradulations Greg :D

Is it christmas yet? Or is everyone geting a new oud these days ;)

I love it. Mabrouk 3aleik again

Time - 2-24-2006 at 11:31 PM

Mabrouk

beautiful wood. I hope you treat us with sound sample.

tsugumi - 2-25-2006 at 12:52 AM

Congratulations Greg!!
!!!Wonderful, beautiful oud!!!

tsugumi

Wm. De Leonardis - 2-25-2006 at 06:02 AM

Greg,

Congratulations on your new Faruk!!! It’s a beauty. I really like the wood you chose. Would you be so kind to post a close up picture of the rosettes? They are very different from the ones on my Faruk. Maybe they’re the ones he uses on his Arabic ouds?

Let’s hear a sound clip, too! Play it in good health. :airguitar:

William

p.s. I can’t really complain about you and Mav with your new ouds, as I’m incredibly lucky to own both a Faruk and a Dimitris. However, dang, if I don’t want a Dincer, Ghadban, Shehata, Hankey, etc., too… Man, I’m a big baby!!! :mad:

Greg - 2-28-2006 at 05:25 AM

Thanks again to everybody for your congratulations. Getting a new oud is such a pleasurable experience and it is made even more so when you can share the passion with such a great group of similarly afflicted friends.:bowdown:

As always, thanks Mike for these great forums. What would we do without you, mate?

William, sorry I haven't posted the closeups of the rosettes yet. I will get to it, I promise.

Regards,

Greg

oud video

farukturunz - 2-28-2006 at 07:31 AM

Greg,

I have recently put a short video of Yurdal Tokcan with your oud. He had made a rast taksim in the workshop just before I shipped it to Australia.

Regards.

http://www.oudmaster.com/php/modules.php?name=Musiki&op=player&...

Appreciation and Gratitude

farukturunz - 2-28-2006 at 09:51 AM

I must state my appreciation to the Mike's Forums and submit my gratitude to Mike for his great favor administering such a vast website.

Greg - 2-28-2006 at 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by farukturunz
Greg,
I have recently put a short video of Yurdal Tokcan with your oud. He had made a rast taksim in the workshop just before I shipped it to Australia.
Regards.

http://www.oudmaster.com/php/modules.php?name=Musiki&op=player&...

Thanks Faruk, somehow it sounds better when Yurdal plays it than when I play it, I wonder why ;)

BTW, I don't know if anybody else has a probelm playing the videos from your new site, but none of them play properly for me. The sound is okay, but the vision freezes.

Does anybody else have this problem?

Regards,

Greg

farukturunz - 3-1-2006 at 01:49 AM

OK Greg, I will tell this to Sinan. He is the maker of the site. I believe he will arrange it soon.

Regards

Ivri - 3-1-2006 at 06:01 AM

Beautiful ud Greg, congratulations!

Greg - 3-3-2006 at 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wm. De Leonardis
[snip Would you be so kind to post a close up picture of the rosettes? They are very different from the ones on my Faruk. Maybe they’re the ones he uses on his Arabic ouds? [snip]

Sorry for the delay William, here are the requested pictures.
As a matter of interest, I have also posted a picture of the centre (ivory) part of the shams on a 1912 Roufan Nahat.
Compare the small rosettes on my Faruk oud with the Nahat picture. Good design never dies :)

Thanks again everyone for your nice comments.

Regards,

Greg

Wm. De Leonardis - 3-3-2006 at 05:46 AM

Greg,

Thanks so much for the photos! The rosettes are very beautiful. You’re right; a good design never goes out of style. Faruk really understands that principal.

I look forward to hearing it.

Best,
William

Greg - 7-26-2007 at 07:59 PM

My playing has never been at a standard that would do justice to this beautiful instrument and that is why I have never uploaded an audio file. But yesterday, I was lucky enough to spend a few hours with Joe and James Tawadros and we videotaped a few bits and pieces that included a nice taqsim on my oud. The recording suffered a little from a combination of my light string gauges and being recorded using my ordinary inbuilt camcorder microhone, but you'll get the idea.

You can find the file here:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=jdr-ShQ8KIc

I have also attached a couple of happy snaps.

And yes, I have also videotaped Joe's new JT model Faruk oud. Hopefully, I will get a short clip up today.

SamirCanada - 7-26-2007 at 10:01 PM

wow.
Thats some awsome pictures Greg.
and that oud really sounds great in his hands.
thank you dearly for sharing this.
this is what makes me dig the forums soo much.
its what its all about.

MatthewW - 7-26-2007 at 11:45 PM

a beautiful looking instrument in every way, from the rosette to that lovely pommele bowl; play it long and in good health!

Congratulations.

Lintfree - 7-27-2007 at 12:03 AM

As usual it's beautiful and your photography is fine. No problem. It looks like Mr. Turunz has changed his shape a little? Maybe that or maybe it's the perspective. Possibly a little flatter bottom? Whatever the case Mr. Turunz' instruments are always first rate whatever shape he uses. And a great oud makes you play better, always. Lintfree

Cyberquills - 7-27-2007 at 03:11 AM

Ah, wonderful, simply wonderful.

CQ

Jameel - 7-27-2007 at 04:56 AM

Very nice Greg. Thanks. Your oud sounds great. And the wood, again, is stunning. Thanks for putting these clips up. Very enjoyable listening and watching.

dubai244 - 7-27-2007 at 06:54 AM

Congratulations Greg, Gorgeous oud and very nice sound.

Thanks for sharing this with us

cheers

;)

oudplayer - 7-27-2007 at 11:40 AM

hye greg

Great stuff man really nice oud i like alot and the sounds is great.
JT as usally u rock on the oud i love when u went crazy fast, but all was good
and p.s james when u get sick of yr riqq pass it to mee thx
thx sammy

abusin - 7-28-2007 at 06:58 AM

Hi Greg,

That's an awesome oud, master Turunz amazing craftmanship is one of its kind
I love the bowl wood and its golden glow, and the sound is fantastic stil the strings are new but master JT's amazing fingers brought the beauty out.
play it in good health Greg, I'm going to get me a Turunz soon:cool:
best regards
Awad

Mike - 7-28-2007 at 01:57 PM

Sweet! Good to finally put the face to the man Greg. :-) I was hoping you were bald, but no luck. Awesome playing Joe and awesome oud Greg. Love it!

JT - 7-30-2007 at 08:56 PM

Hey Mike,

Greg has a full head of hair. Im getting there with the baldness, I'll try and post a baldness clip in few years:)

Hope you're well and thanks again for the support.

JT

Ararat66 - 7-31-2007 at 07:18 AM

Hi Joseph

Hope you're well

Your playing and your brother's is great on those clips.

Take it easy

Leon

NUR - 7-31-2007 at 09:52 AM

Hello Mr. Greg,

What is the price of your oud?

Please inform.

paulO - 7-31-2007 at 07:01 PM

Hi Greg,

Beautifull oud, congradulations -- finally stumbled my way to the sound clip, and it sounds great too !! Thanks for the clips dude, much appreciated.

Regards..PaulO

Greg - 8-1-2007 at 03:36 AM

Thanks again guys for the kind comments about my Türünz oud. Thanks also to JT for making it sound so good. BTW, we saw Joe and James in concert with the Grigoryan brothers on Saturday night. It was an awesome concert with an eclectic blend of musical styles (with Arabic music predominating).
You can read a review here: http://www.abc.net.au/brisbane/stories/s1991388.htm

Nur, this is a Grand Concert model. Master Türünz oud prices can be sourced on his website at http://www.oudmaster.com/php/

Oh, almost forgot to offer my apologies to Mike for my (almost) full head of hair. Sorry mate, I'll shave it off if it makes you happy.:cool:

Regards,

Greg

dubai244 - 8-1-2007 at 08:47 AM

Hi Greg,

I am just windering, what is the length of the Bowl "ribs"?. The longer is the rib, the bigger is the bowl. I just want to have an idea how big the bowl of Faruk ouds compare to the normal arabic or egyption oud. It seem to me it is smaller.

Cheers

:)

Greg - 8-2-2007 at 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dubai244
Hi Greg,
I am just windering, what is the length of the Bowl "ribs"?. The longer is the rib, the bigger is the bowl. I just want to have an idea how big the bowl of Faruk ouds compare to the normal arabic or egyption oud. It seem to me it is smaller.
Cheers :)

The length of the bowl, when measured along the soundboard, is 48 cm.
This is a 58.5 cm scale length instrument. Therefore, the bowl will be shorter than an oud with a longer scale length.
I ordered it with that scale length because that is the most comfortable for me. The bowl size will be similar to most Turkish instruments, but the braces and soundboard were designed for Arabic tuning and Arabic sound. Faruk also makes Arabic ouds with longer scale lengths.

The great oud maker, Nazih Ghadban also makes many of his Arabic ouds with the 58.5 cm scale length. You can see some of them at http://www.oudnazihghadban.com/users/current.asp
His Al Farabi model has an even shorter scale length of 57 cm.

Regards,

Greg

dubai244 - 8-3-2007 at 02:46 AM

Dear Greg,

When you say that the scale length is 58.5 or 57 cm. What do you mean by that? is this the length from the bridge to the nut, along the soundboard or is it the strings length?

I know that the strings length is between 57 to 60 cm. But What "Scale Length" definition?

cheers

:)