Mike's Oud Forums

Two Videos

Mike - 3-14-2006 at 03:24 PM

- Afif plays Mohamad el-Hifnawi Oud

- Afif plays Palisander Oud

Jameel - 3-14-2006 at 03:35 PM

Thanks Mike for offering these. For a small oud, the Hifnawi has a big sound, at least as far as I can tell from the video. I'm sure it's the oud you pick up first when you get the urge to play.

Mike - 3-14-2006 at 03:48 PM

Hey Jameel,
Yeah, it has got a big sound for such a small oud. Check out the size difference of this oud compared to it's younger palisander brother. It is so comfortable to play, and has tons of tarab. I love this oud!

Jonathan - 3-14-2006 at 05:01 PM

Mike, that el-Hifnawi is perfection--I am so glad it is yours.
The sound, the look--everything, bro. That oud is awesome.
Mabrouk.

zalzal - 3-15-2006 at 05:03 AM

Isn't it a female oud ??.
Thank you for marvellous videos

Mike - 3-15-2006 at 11:35 AM

that's a good question zalzal, but you know i saw 2 other old ouds while in egypt last year, and they both had this similar sleek, slim look and size. i wonder when the egyptian oud morphed into today's monsters. also, the original owner of this oud was a man. personally, i love the size and feel of this oud.

paulO - 5-15-2006 at 08:59 PM

Dear Mike,

Love that Hifnawi - it's got that fantastic "older oud" sound, beatutiful, and Afif's playing -- really inspiring. Thanks for sharing all the info and music. It's very much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Paul

Tablah23 - 5-15-2006 at 09:15 PM

mike i have not been able to contribute to the site in a while studies have been killing me, finishing up first semester of medical school, but i wanted to know how you know of afif, and how you were able to set that up, anta fi masar? so u came to the states, i know afif lives in cali close to us, hes actually from fairuzee in syria, our town, he usually plays his sabsabi, same sa i have lol. ok mike, ttyl.
ROMEO

journeyman - 5-16-2006 at 10:31 AM

Thanks Mike,
Two great ouds! Congratulations! The Hifnawi has great balance and depth. I don't mean only the bass response, but depth in the quality of sound...like it comes from the earth up through the heart. Rare and beautiful!

Roy

small old ouds

oistrach13 - 6-7-2006 at 10:08 AM

you know, my oud teacher bought a oud recently that's at least as small as the Hifnawi, but a bit less oblong perhaps. I forgot the maker's name, but he's an Armenian, and it's made in Beirut I believe. It's about 65 years old I believe, with a very very warm sound, but it needs new strings (desperately), and a bit of touching up, though not to the extent of what was done to the Hifnawi perhaps. (I have not given it a good inspection).