Mike's Oud Forums

Maurice Farouk Shehata oud

journeyman - 1-1-2004 at 10:05 PM

I was wondering if anyone plays one of Maurice Farouk Shehata's ouds, and could you talk about how it plays and sounds. I know that sound is a personal thing and that the player to a large extent makes his or her sound, but I am trying to gather as much information as possible before I move up to a more expensive oud.:)

elrabee3 - 1-1-2004 at 10:45 PM

all of i know is sheatah's ouds are among the best ouds, Abadi el Johar is one of his customers.

Mike - 1-1-2004 at 10:50 PM

As you might expect, I am kinda partial to his instruments. I think the craftsmanship of an oud that comes out of his shop is truly very fine. If you want to listen to a Shehata oud, check out this sound file.

Maurice Farouk Shehata oud

journeyman - 1-1-2004 at 11:16 PM

Thank you Mike. That is a beautiful sound. Is there a web site for his company? Thanks in advance.

new style

sydney - 1-2-2004 at 12:41 AM

Hello Mike

I did like the sound of that oud. Sure it is advisable to buy one of Mourice ouds. I am just wondering who is the player? if it was you playing then this is a new style and I liked it a lot. was it you? please reply... I'll keep it a secret :))

Emad from Sydney

Mike - 1-2-2004 at 08:21 AM

I wish it was me Emad, but it is Mavrothis. Isn't he good? :airguitar:

Journeyman: No, he doesn't have a website, but there are people you can get in touch with who can get you his ouds. Try posting a message on the other forum, Oud Market, and/or look at the message I put up for John Allison. His ouds are total custom with spruce tops he sent to Mourice personally to put on the ouds.

Best of luck,
Mike

Shehata ouds

journeyman - 1-3-2004 at 01:51 PM

I have a chance to buy an oud made by his son, Morris? Shehata. Any comments?

Mike - 1-3-2004 at 02:06 PM

Journeyman,

Maurice (or Morris) is Farouk's son. Maurice's (or Morris) sons aren't old enough to make ouds yet. :D I highly recommend his ouds.

Best of luck,
Mike

Maurice Shehata

journeyman - 1-3-2004 at 07:47 PM

Thanks for the clarification Mike. I was a bit confused about the lineage and the custom for names in Arabic culture. This is a great forum by the way. I have found it most helpful, so thanks for your time and effort.

kuharido - 3-10-2004 at 11:28 AM

Mike .. AWESOME sound , which oud is that ?

Khalid - 3-11-2005 at 04:45 PM

Hey mike,

I love the sound file youn posted, could you tell us more about the oud it was played on? Like what type of wood was used and such? I might want to purchase one similar.

Thanks,
Khalid

Khalid - 3-11-2005 at 04:48 PM

By the way, does Mr. Shehata make arabic ouds?

tsugumi - 3-11-2005 at 11:41 PM

Hello

The Web site of Shehata is here.
http://www.mauriceouds.com/

However, I cannot read the Arabia language.

tsugumi