Mike's Oud Forums

carbon fibre oud

billkilpatrick - 12-12-2006 at 01:27 AM

i know richard touched on this before, saying the prototype carbon fibre oud that someone was working on sounded like a banjo. the project (i assume) was abandoned.

however, here's news of a design company in vermont (new millenium) who seems to making progress with their carbon fibre mandolin:

http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=7;t=3944...

i saw a car here in italy made from carbon fibre (a "zonda.") "sleek," "beautiful" and "batman" just about sums it up.

wonder what bruce wayne will make of the mandolin?

- bill

Mike - 12-12-2006 at 02:32 PM

interesting concept. forget about bruce wayne, what would the joker think?

hey bill...looks like you play the mandolin. let's hear something, no?

p.s. given up on the idea of ever having hair on my pate again! :wavey:

adamgood - 12-13-2006 at 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by billkilpatrick
i know richard touched on this before, saying the prototype carbon fibre oud that someone was working on sounded like a banjo. the project (i assume) was abandoned.

sounded like a banjo, oooo interesting. if it didn't have bracings maybe the face is too large and too strangely shaped for it to resonate properly without them.

so then imagine a body more round, like a tanbur or a cumbush, with a round belly (like a tanbur) with a carbon face. and a nice ud-like neck (more ud-like, less cumbus-like). that could be a very interesting instrument. tanbur has no bracings that i know of. and hmmm would it have to have a floating bridge?

an udbur

I envy people who have the ability to build instruments.

will_oud - 12-13-2006 at 05:41 PM

I've played an Ovation mandolin with carbon fiber back, spruce sound board, and rosewood neck. It had a verry good and warm tone. So I think the idea would work with oud provided the sound board is still spruce, and has a wood neck.

William F. Sparks